Saturday 20 July 2013

Hot and bothered and needing more washi tape

The sign of a true Brit is the ability to find something to say about any kind of weather.  It's part of our heritage; it means we never have nothing to say when we meet someone new.  It's either too cold, too wet, too windy, or, in the case of the last couple of weeks - too hot. Boy we've had some high temperatures - up in the 30s and whilst that is lovely if you are relaxing by a pool on holiday or lazing on a beach with a gentle breeze keeping you cool, it's not so nice if you are sweltering in the office.  We don't have air conditioning in our homes or local offices - because for 51 weeks of the year we wouldn't need it.  But it would have been handy recently.  The school I work in has been unbearable and the demand for fans in classrooms has outstripped the amount the caretaker has in store.  If you find a fan, you don't dare leave your desk for long as when you come back, someone will have 'borrowed' it 'just for a minute'. Come to think of it, that's how I 'obtained' the one I've been using ;-)

To be honest, when I've been at home, I haven't ventured into the garden much until the evenings because it's been too hot, but this has meant that I have a perfect excuse for getting a bit of crafting done.  {It's also been the perfect excuse for not doing the ironing, hoovering or cooking many hot meals.}  Now I'm not a great card maker, but I always admire cards that other people make.  I follow Sarah on Pinterest and Twitter and she finds some fabulous cards and there is one design that involved using washi tape that I particularly liked so when we were invited to the 30th birthday of the daughter of a friend of ours, I decided to have a go myself.
I can see this design working for all manner of occasions and I may be tempted to do it again.  I may just need some more washi-tape ... (any excuse)

I've found a few more scavenger hunt pictures recently and have updated my flickr album which you can find here.  Having searched for a dinosaur, I found a book featuring 1000 dinosaur stickers and then saw that the local supermarket has a treasure trail for children where you have to find various stickers.  I'm not sure who was most excited when I saw this one, me or the 4 year old standing next to me.  But I was the only one who pulled out their phone to take a photo!


8 comments:

Miriam said...

Ha Ha love this post and love the dinosaurs.ps it is lovely and cool here today!

scrappyjacky said...

You're certainly right about us Brits and the weather!!
Love the card....may have to 'borrow' that idea myself.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely card Deb - simple but very beautiful.

Amy said...

The card is gorgeous Deb ... I find that when it is too hot I don't feel like crafting at all - glad you did!

Alison said...

I'm with Amy...I do very little crafting during the summer months..love that card!!
Alison xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I love the dino you found!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the dino on the supermarket floor.
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Deb, you do make me smile. Having experienced your weather first hand, I can say that I understand why you all talk about the weather so much! Haha. I'm STILL talking about it...wish I had just a LITTLE bit of the cool weather right now!

I can't imagine living without air conditioning - that just wouldn't work here. :o) Cool dinosaur finds!