Monday 13 February 2017

Memos, Mail and Me

The mail fairies are trying to tell me something, I know they are.  And it's not just so that I can join in with Sian's idea of sharing what arrives in the post on a Monday.  Clearly, retail therapy is needed and I need to have temptation sent through the mail.
Now, I've never ordered anything from Seasalt and it makes me wonder how much of our information is shared from company to company.  Although, if they didn't share, I might miss out on some goodies ...
 
But with two weddings in the family this year, I think I should try to ignore that 15% discount and free gift that White Stuff are trying to entice me with and be saving my pennies for mother of the bride/groom outfits as a trip to Cambridge on Monday confirmed what I had suspected, this is not going to be cheap!  I decided to do some background research in John Lewis, Hobbs, Coast and LK Bennett and whilst I didn't see any dresses that were suitable - I was very, very tempted by a rather gorgeous pair of shoes.  However, my friend pointed out that it will be much easier to match a pair of shoes to an outfit, rather than start with the shoes and then try and find an outfit that went with them.  I reluctantly had to agree (although they were lovely, perfect wedding outfit shoes and oh so comfortable) don't you hate it when someone talks you out of something by giving perfectly sensible good advice? ;-)
 
There's a new car on my drive
 
Yes, my poor little Mini was collected on Thursday to the intensive care unit of a nearby bodywork repairers.  Fortunately I was at work so didn't witness the sad sight of it being loaded onto a truck and taken away by strangers.  In its place I have a brand new (only 350 miles on the clock) black sports edition Corsa so I am still mobile.  It is nice to drive, the only slight 'oops' moment came when I was driving home from work, went to go from 5th gear to 6th and realised there was no 6th gear!  I saw the guy who reversed into mine earlier in the week and he was again very apologetic and told me that it was the beginning of a series of bad things that happened to him that week, culminating with cracking a tooth and losing a filling while eating his dinner one night.  I tried to sound sympathetic but part of me was thinking that it was his 'just desserts' - literally!
 
Wedding 'props' have begun to be bought

There's more to a wedding than just the venue and clothes and it's high time we started to think about all the little extras that are needed.  Everyone seems to have a personal wedding hashtag to use so that people can upload pictures to instagram and twitter and you can see what your guests were up to, so we are starting to gather together some photo props that people can use.

The bad planning of not looking at what was behind me when I took this photo means that we have the added bonus of seeing what I would look like if I wear a fancy fascinator instead of a hat for the ceremony.

 And of course every wedding has to have a sweet trolley doesn't it?  So we have the glass jars, now all we need to do is think of things to fill them with.   The colour scheme will be vintage pastels so we bought a big tub on flying saucers and some bags of marshmallows - any ideas as to what else we can get?  I have had to hide the sweets we bought as I cannot be trusted not to open the packs and have a little sample when no one else is looking.

So that's a little of me this cold Monday - first day of the half term holidays - which means I'm home all day and those sweets are definitely at risk of  being opened.

9 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Ooh, lovely jars. My niece had a sweet trolley at her wedding and it looked gorgeous. I had to say goodbye to my little Clio a couple of weeks ago too. Very sad to see her go and now I'm getting to used a newer one. Mine has 70,000 on the clock though!
There's a lovely boutique in Wedmore run by a friend's stepmum. They have a very good reputation for dressing Mothers of the Bride. Somerset may be a little far for you to travel.

Ruth said...

Funny about Seasalt ... I may have accidentally ordered a jumper and a tunic ...
Re the sweet trolley, we didn't have that, but we did have Just Married packets of mini-Lovehearts scattered across the tables at the reception. At my cousin's wedding last year, there was a sweet table and, to be honest, it looked seriously unappetising! Sweets in vintage jars will look much more appealing, I think.

alexa said...

That's a lovely photo of you (fascinator and all). Weddings have clearly moved on in complexity since Himself and I tied the knot; those glass jars are going to look very pretty. I don't think I'd be able to resist the temptation, so you have my admiration :).

Patio Postcards said...

I laughed & laughed about your photo being a "dry" run for what you would look like with a fasinator rather than a hat ...

A sweet trolley sounds like a great idea especially set out in those jars - first thoughts are; that sweaty hands & fingers could make some candies melt (a gooey mess potential on clothes), kids get into them easily so no choking hazards or allergy ones; people like to dip into them & walk about. Now I need some sweets ...

Happy week ahead & just think about the return of a well mini.

Sian said...

The Seasalt catalogue arrived here too. Very tempting! I love the sandals which look like those expensive Swedish clog ones, but I don't think they'd fit.

Blimey: there's a lot to a wedding these days, isn't there? It sounds like a lot of fun pulling it all together. Never mind the honeymoon, I'm thinking you might need a little break afterwards.

Wishing you a great week ahead. I used to have a corsa..in the days when they were called nova :)

Cheri said...

Your wedding planning sounds like so much fun!

Jane said...

sounds like you have a fun time ahead, your photo and comment did make me smile

Sandra said...

So much fun with all the wedding planning

Karen said...

Wedding planning is lots of fun, I think. We have two weddings this year; one very informal and the other very upscale. I've given a little thought to what I might wear; hoping I can make do with something that's already in my closet.