Monday 7 August 2017

Through the keyhole

Remember that tv show where they showed you round the inside of someone's house and you had to guess who lived there?  Well, as I typed 'what does a hornet look like' into a well known search engine, I wondered what people would think of me if they just looked at my recent search history.  Trust me, it is completely random! 

Why was I looking for hornets? (although I was not really looking for them, we suspected we had one in our conservatory) My husband is not bothered by any flying insects.  I, on the other hand, am a wasp magnet and they will find me wherever I happen to be, and no amount of flapping around with my arms will get rid of them.  Apparently, this is lesson one in the how to avoid wasps manual.  Flapping gets them all riled up and makes you more attractive to their vicious little stinging machines.  'Just ignore it, it will go away' says the husband.  'Easier said than done' I yell as I run off in the opposite direction.  He calmly stays where he is, waits for the stripy enemy to land and with a flick of the thumb and middle finger, swats it into submission.  So, when he appeared perplexed by an unwanted visitor in the conservatory last night, I knew it was time to really worry.  He's never phased by anything like that so when he said, close the door and don't let Coco out here, I knew it was more than just a wasp.  It was still there this morning, twitching it's stripy body and flickering its wings.  Once we had formally identified it (neither of us like to kill any insect and prefer to simply re-home them elsewhere) the step ladder and rolled up newspaper was moved into position and a few minutes later we were hornet-less.  Now we can all relax.

Talking of ladders, last night I was also looking for this


It's known at the 'milk ladder' and is a method for introducing milk into a baby's diet when milk intolerance is suspected.  At the end of last year, Leo was failing to put on weight and certain evidence in the nappy department (I won't go into details, some people may be reading this while eating their breakfast) suggested he had either allergies or intolerances to something that Rachel was eating which was coming through in her milk.  The likely culprits were either egg, milk or soya so she's been on a restricted diet and he's come on in leaps and bounds.  About 3 months ago they had to challenge the egg aspect and give him some cake which had cooked egg in it.  He had a bad reaction, so much so that he now has an epipen just in case he is accidentally given something that has egg in it.  She's introduced soya into her diet and that hasn't had any bad effects. The next thing to challenge was milk and he's started on a 12 step programme to introduce egg.  First thing is malted milk biscuits (which he loved) then digestive biscuits (which he loved) and tomorrow he can try mini muffins or cupcakes so I've been searching for egg free recipes.  If there is anyone out there who know of a good recipe, let me know!  

Another recent search was for this
Rachel had a couple of hydrangea heads in her wedding bouquet which led me to eye up the shrub we have in our garden but I wasn't sure if we would ruin the plant by cutting some to bring indoors.  Some flowers prefer to be left where nature intended.  Fortunately, all seems ok and I love the way these look in the dining room.

Other recent searches include Lyme disease (hypochondriac in me suspected a random insect bite on husband's leg) Wedding readings (R is doing a reading at J's wedding and still hasn't decide which one to do) Online take away menu for our local Thai restaurant, (friends came over on Saturday night) Lightroom tutorials (just downloaded the programme on the computer and tendonitis exercises.  This gives an impression of a limping, hungry, health worried, speech giver who plans to take pictures of her dinner at her son's wedding.  What does your history say about you?   


5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Oh Deb what a lovely post this morning, I had many chuckles but none about the Wasp! Mr Man absolutely hates flying insects & right now we are battling mosquitoes & that's something my history would show ... searches about West Nile Disease. We have had several mosquitoes & crows test positive in the area for West Nile - a deadly disease.
Good luck with re-introducing eggs, the one food I couldn't give up to become Vegan. Oh yes the other search history reveal would be birthday cakes for cats!

Ruth said...

There's a lot to smile about in how you've written this post, but also some cause for concern ... do hope your grandson's allergies/intolerances can be managed easily and quickly.

Barbara Eads said...

So sorry to hear about the allergies. They are such a pain to figure out! At least it looks like you are on the right track! The hydrangeas are gorgeous. I hope it dries beautifully for you. I just let the vase run dry. Some work, while others wither away.

Maggie said...

Strangely enough it was just going through my mind what would people think of my search history if they looked at it! In the last few minutes it would include jersey potatoes, beetroot soup and tinnitus with perforated eardrum ( husband suffering) !
My cousin has a daughter allergic to egg and milk. It does mean a lot of home cooking. We used to do food allergy testing where I workers as a children's nurse. Always a worry. We had the adrenaline and hydrocortisone at the ready. We always started with a skin test and the moved on to oral testing. Allergies are worrying things. Good luck to Leo.

Leslie Roberts Clingan said...

Praying your search for Lyme disease was premature. I have Lyme disease and it has changed my life. Hoping your husband's bite was nothing more than a simple mosquito bite.

Glad to know about the milk ladder. We suspected my youngest grand as being lactose intolerant. But she has either outgrown it or it was a premature diagnosis. But the milk ladder is good to know.