Monday 6 January 2020

What's in the tin?

I'll tell you what is in the tin - the last few remaining Quality Street that no one likes.



The flat toffees that pull the fillings out of your teeth and the chocolate covered coconut that looks like it will taste like a Bounty bar but doesn't.  And do you know what will happen if I do not take that tin and empty it into the rubbish bin?  I will eat them.  Even though I don't like them, they will be like a siren call to me to finish them up.  Willpower, where are you?

So here we are at the first 'proper' week of the new year, the one where I will hopefully remember what day of the week it is.  Decorations are down, and I'm feeling that annual new year urge to go through my wardrobe and donate anything I haven't worn in the last year to the local charity shop.  If I remember correctly, it was this time last year that I discovered Marie Kondo and had the most effective tidy up of the house we have ever had.  Things may have slipped slightly since then but hopefully this year will be a breeze in comparison!

We have a new year project - we have a spare bedroom at the back of the house which Paul has taken over as a room where he can play guitar, do sketching or painting or just listen to his music.  We've kept a single bed in there for when his mum has been here to stay over but we have realised that those days have gone now, she really doesn't like to leave her house.  So the bed will go, more storage will be bought, new carpet, wooden blinds to replace the curtains I made by hand when we moved in 28 years ago (we've had our money's worth out of them I think, especially as I made them out of an old remnant of fabric!) and a fresh coat of paint.  I think you can see that I will have little to do with this project other than give an opinion on what colour we choose for the walls!  

Is anyone else watching the new drama Wisting on BBC4?  Oh it's good.  It's a Norwegian crime drama and Paul and I are both absolutely hooked.  If the idea of subtitles puts you off, it isn't totally subtitled.  One of the crimes he is investigating results in some FBI agents arriving to assist, so all the scenes the Americans are in are spoken in English!  I would really recommend it.

I think it's time to put the kettle on, make a cup of tea and browse some holiday brochures. It's our 40th wedding anniversary this year so the perfect excuse to explore somewhere new.  Paul's been taking Italian lessons for two years now so I think we have narrowed down which country we will be visiting - well, he has to put it into practice doesn't he?

Ciao!





6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I agree - banish those chocolates from the house. Oh a visit to Italy would be fin in the planning & fabulous in the doing. How wonderful that Paul gets a room of his own. I agree with the putting away of Christmas, the start of a new year, it all leads us to change & tidying. Good luck with the closet clear out.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I dumped the last of the Christmas cookies and cheesecake bars, pumpkin pie for the very same reason...although, in my case, I love them all!! And would eat them happily to get them out of the way...like I did the last slice of pizza last night. Oh, dear. Time to get back on the horse.

Will look forward to seeing how your new project comes along. Will you join Paul in some of his artistic endeavors? You could crochet in there while he sketches!!

Need to get to my decluttering in the kitchen and purging in the master closet but with baby in the wings, I am afraid to drag too much out for fear of having to leave it in the middle of the room for weeks til things slow down.

alexa said...

If those sweets are not going to spark joy, then definitely out I would say :). Your plans for the new leisure room sound great - do you have a space too? I am only just emerging into the new year, having had family till the third (and the aftermath to deal with since!) so I am feeling a bit behind ...

Ruth said...

You obviously don't have food waste recycling where you are - otherwise you could chuck the leftover sweets into the bin, without wrappers, and feel smugly virtuous!

We're watching Wisting - we love a bit of Scandi drama on BBC4.

Italy will be perfect - Paul gets to practice his Italian and you get to sample all that delicious food!

Jo Tracey said...

I laughed at that comment about the toffees - they're always the last aren't they? And yes, Italy would be a great way for him to practice his Italian...and would be something fabulous to look forward to.

Bojana said...

I thought the coconut chocolate covered one sounded pretty good, hahahaha. I hope you enjoyed your cup of tea and I love a good closet clean!

bosbodaciousblog.blogspot.ca