Sunday 29 March 2020

Naming and blaming

I am scared to get on the scales for a little while.  I fear that the fact that I have been wearing elasticated waist leggings and harem pants more often than normal may be leading me to mistakenly believe that all is well in the waistline department.  But it's not really my fault, I'm blaming you, Jamie Oliver, for that tv series you have on at the moment, the one that shows you varieties of ways to use the same ingredients and mix and match things you have got in your cupboard for things you haven't. You know, the one where you showed the cake you can make if you have no eggs, this one here.  It looked deliciously, scrumptiously, chocolatey and easy - and it was.  We had it warm last night for dessert and I shall be reheating some for dessert today to have with ice cream.  But the trouble is Jamie, that it makes 12 portions.  Twelve.  There are only two of us here, and unlikely to have visitors drop in for the foreseeable future.  And in my mind, I know that I should freeze half so that I am not tempted to keep it in the cake box in the kitchen, so that I am not tempted to have a slice with morning coffee, or afternoon tea and we all know that if I don't do it now, then I won't and that is a slippery slope.  So yes, any increase in waist size or weight is totally down to Jamie.  

I'm also blaming Joe Wicks for the fact that my legs are aching every time I go up and down stairs.  Joe is better known as The Body Coach and he's doing daily workouts for kids on his youtube channel.  They're aimed at little children, they can't be that hard can they?  This would be a good thing to do every morning to keep me active.  Well it turns out that they can be hard and I'm clearly far too old for kids PE.   It's not just Joe though, it's a lady on youtube called Cindy.  While looking on youtube for inspiration for a dance style of home exercise I came across this class.  It was good, it was fun and it had the word 'Senior' in it.  Then I woke up the next day and realised that perhaps my leg muscles weren't quite as fit as I thought they were.

While we're on the blame train, I'm blaming Netflix for enticing me into watching YOU and ensuring that our meals are not being cooked at their normal times.  The tension is mounting with each episode and Season Two seems to be even more intense than the first one was.  Oh go on then, I'll just watch one more episode before starting to cook lunch.

Finally, I'm blaming the lockdown situation for the fact that all hairdressers are closed when I was only one week away from an appointment for a cut and colour.  Which means that Snapchat has devised a filter which predicts exactly what I'm going to look like by the time this lockdown is over




5 comments:

Ruth said...

That's a lot of blame going on there!
TBC is joining Joe Wicks every morning and I have promised to join him tomorrow ... I might also look at your 'seniors' dance class ...
As for the hair thing - we'll all be in the same boat, unless you're brave enough for a DIY job (and I'm not). I'm glad that all of us, Tilly included, had haircuts the week before the lockdown announcement. My eyebrows, however, will be at the mercy of me and my tweezers ... and that can't be a good thing ...
Keep smiling!

Patio Postcards said...

Your photo made me chuckle, that's quite the potential of a hair do! You are blaming Jamie Oliver, while I am being shamed by Weight Watchers with their many & often emails telling me now is the right time to join! After hearing you say how much you enjoy your Zumba classes, I found a beginners uTube Zumba class. Thankfully no one can see me, so I'm not being shamed about my awkwardness in this class!

The time will come soon for our "pass go, get out of jail free" card.

Cheri said...

So you are coming out of Lock-down as the bird woman? That filter is crazy! My gym is doing a Zoom class at 9:30 every morning - but it's geared to their Cross-fit class. I tried it on Friday. Tapped out a little over half-way through. And still can't walk! My inner thighs burn and groan every time I go near the stairs. Burpees are definitely not an exercise for the over 50 crowd and I wasn't a fan of the spiderman stretch either!

alexa said...

Your post needs a splutter-warning at the top! I'm mopping up hot tea from my keyboard after getting to that last photo :). Thank-you for those links - I might give these a go, when I am not cooking or looking after the baby - though sorry to see that Joe managed to break a bone in his hand falling off his bike. Exercise is not without risks, clearly!

Susanne said...

That's the kind of blame I am totally on board with. Thanks for starting my day with a smile. My Pilates studio has given us online access to workouts, and the instructors are doing videos on Facebook as well. Who can I blame for the fact that I am putting off starting any of those until April 1st?

I am okay with no haircut for a while as I had gone a bit too short for my own comfort. And luckily they sell haircolor at the grocery store, so I am not too terribly worried how I will come out on the other side of this isolation. Take care and stay well.