Monday 7 December 2020

A sign of the times

That's prompt number 8 for the Winter Scavenger Photo Hunt!  


 A sign of the times in as much as it is a sign that Christmas is just around the corner but also a sign of how things have changed since I was little.  Back then (in the olden days!) we used to write our letter to Santa and then put it up the chimney at home so that it would be taken by the smoke to Lapland.  

But even this bright and shiny postbox that has appeared in town failed to put a smile on my face today.  It doesn't help that I started the day with a trip to the dentist.  And we all know how anxious a trip to the dentist makes me!  I left home with plenty of time for my 8.45am appointment only to find that the condensation on my windscreen caused by the swirling fog was actually also ice so I had to find the scraper and the de-icer before I could leave.  Then I got stuck in awful traffic going into town, arrived at the car park with 5 mins to spare, had to run to the dentist and just got through the door at my appointment time.  I thought I'd lost part of a wisdom tooth but it turns out that it's not as bad as I thought but ... there is a filling there that needs replacing as it is becoming 'unstable' (like it's owner).  So I have an appointment now in the new year to have the work done.  Oh boy. 

I went next door to the post office to post a parcel, not much of a queue, walked into town and realised I no longer had my shopping bag.  Ran back to Post Office where I found said bag on the pavement outside, I must have dropped it as I was putting my gloves back on.  I've already run more in the first few hours of the day than I have for years!  Got a few bits and pieces in town, took a parcel back to Waitrose for a refund and came home.

To be honest, I am feeling a bit 'meh' today.  Isn't it funny how every now and again this feeling hits you?  Can't quite put my finger on it, I've tried spending the morning wrapping gifts in the hope that will bring me a bit of Christmas cheer but it doesn't seem to be lifting.  Maybe a bit more card signing will improve things.  With a Christmas film on in the background. Coco tells me that a long dog walk will often lift your spirits - I think she may be right!  

Hopefully normal service will resume tomorrow!

6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I like that shiny Santa mail box. We always wrote our letters & mailed to Santa in the North Pole. Sometimes we'd get an answer & sometimes we would even get what we had asked for.

Glad to hear that the worrisome tooth isn't as bad as you thought. I hope that a nice long walk with Coco lifts your spirts & clears that meh fog. I may follow suit later, it's wonderfully sunny here today.

Ruth said...

That's quite a morning, no wonder you felt out of sorts. The Santa post box is a great idea, but only if you don't want to keep your child's letter.
A walk with Coco and a Christmas film sounds perfect - I'll see you soon ... (If only!)

Susanne said...

Yes, I know what you mean about the "meh" days - I am told the trick is to never let yourself string them together. I am finding that doing Christmas things is definitely helping my attitude and outlook, even though I am doing them only at home. How lucky that your bag was still there when you went back. I have learned to ditch my gloves inside the car when running errands as I have lost too many from them falling out of my pockets when running about town - and I don't really need them from the parking lot to wherever I am going inside (well, used to go).

Barbara Eads said...

I hate it when my day starts off badly. It just seems that everything that can go wrong, does! I don't know how people that are chronically late can stand it---so much stress. There are just too many times that something beyond your control throws a kink in your best laid plans. If all the things you tried did not lift your mood, then maybe you should try a winter cosmo!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Oh, friend, what a day you had. I am sorry about your dental expense in the new year. And just having to deal with the dentist again. Knock on wood, my infected tooth hasn't been since I took the antibiotic in October. So thankful I didn't let the dentist yank it out. May still need to be extracted but maybe not.

I can't remember what we did with our letters to Santa. Maybe gave them to our parents to 'mail?' I like your plan better. Will share that with my granddaughters.

Lovely photo. I missed the post about the scavenger hunt. Maybe I can catch up. We were so thankful to be Covid negative but still don't feel 100%. I was fine when I got up this morning but went for groceries and got in a blue funk that I couldn't shake the rest of the day. Thinking of you!!

alexa said...

Hoping you are feeling less 'meh' than you were - there are indeed days like that and mine are always associated with dental problems! Like your postbox :).