Monday 10 December 2012

JYC Day 10 - Where to begin?

There's such a lot to do at this time of year that sometimes it's hard to know where to start.  I wake in the morning with so many thoughts going on about things that need doing and I never really feel organised until I start my lists.  And not just one list, in fact maybe I need to start a list of lists that I need to make!

  • Christmas cards to be written and sent
  • A menu for whichever day I am having visitors
  • Food that needs to be bought in advance
  • Perishable food that can't be bought until nearer the day
  • People I need to buy presents for
  • Ideas for what to buy those people
  • Cards and parcels that need to be sent overseas
It's funny though, that the simple process of writing something down and organising your thoughts on paper makes you feel a little more in control.  Provided of course that you can start ticking things off!  In fact a wise work colleague of mine once gave me good advice when we were sorting out our performance management paperwork ready for appraisals at work.  Always put at least one thing on your 'to do' list that you have either already started or have almost finished.  That way you quickly get to tick one thing off which starts the ball rolling!

So with my lists I have cards written, I know what I'm cooking on boxing day, I've already got some non-perishables in my spare bedroom out of sight, I know who I'm buying for, I've got most of the presents bought or at least know what I am looking for, and today I've sent off all my overseas mail.  Anyone would think it's only 14 days and 6 hours away! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a list almost as long as yours and it hasn't gotten any shorter by writing it down. I just worry more about all the things I have yet to do x

Scrappi Sandi said...

Great tips!! It feels so good to be in control & I do love a list!! I'd hoped you would be at Enfield on Saturday!! maybe January?!! :D

Alison said...

What would we do without lists?! I am slowly getting through mine!
Alison xx

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

My list is a packing list since I have to haul all the gifts, electronics & various cooking implements with us to my folks house this year.
It does mean I get to put off doing a lot of other things though so I suppose it evens out.