Friday 15 August 2014

Half way

I honestly cannot believe that I am half way through the summer holidays; where has the time gone?  At the beginning, almost six weeks sounds tantalisingly long.  Then you realise it's actually 5 weeks and 2 days.  Then you spend a week getting ready for your holiday.  Then you have a week away.  Then you spend a week getting back in the old routines and the next thing you know, someone says 'let's meet for lunch' and you realise you don't have many free days left.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but , six weeks?   Really?  Not quite long enough.
 
So have I spent my time productively?  Well, I think I have.  My project for the holidays was to finish my quilt and I am very nearly there.  I had a moment of madness while stitching top and batting to backing and decided to have a go at free machine quilting.  It seemed a good idea at the time.  It has been met with varying degrees of success.  You know that moment when you think 'I'm not sure this was such a good idea'?  There were a few of those.  Interspersed with 'This is not so bad after all', swiftly followed by 'I wish I hadn't started this, I think I'm ruining it'.  Fortunately I decided to only do one narrow 'feature' strip at each end rather than a whole quilt!
I do quite like it but am certainly not brave enough to go over the whole quilt with it.  So I'm now at the stage where I am hand sewing the binding.  Two sides done and two to go. 
 
Life is going to be changing again over here in Deb's World at the end of the month.  Our son's two year stint in Edinburgh is almost over and it is time for the wanderer to return.  It's going to seem very strange to have him home again.  I wonder where we will store all the 'stuff' he's accumulated?  Actually, I think that tidying up and going through the garage to make space was on my original 'to do' list for the holidays.  Hmmm, decisions, decisions.  Keep sewing or brave the spiders and the cobwebs of the garage to make space...
 
 


7 comments:

Sian said...

This summer has slipped away in a very strange way I think. We're going the other way at the minute and looking at the piles of stuff sitting here and thinking about packing it all back into the car to take it back to Scotland..

The quilt looks gorgeous. There's nothing to beat a bit of stitching to emphasize the cosy, puffy look

scrappyjacky said...

I agree....the summer break is just disappearing!!
The quilt is looking gorgeous.

Sinead said...

I also cannot believe that the summer is almost over! It always goes by far too quickly! You sound like you've had a great time so far though and I love the quilt :) Good luck with the garage! x

Sandie said...

The weeks do fly by, Debs. You have been making good use of the time though and your quilt is looking just lovely.

Denise said...

Definitely keep sewing- your quilting looks amazing. Yes the summer is definitely flying by x

Alison said...

Love your quilting ...I would put off the spiders as long as possible, though I know how it feels to have the thought of all the 'stuff' hanging over you!
Alison xx

Beverly said...

Well, obviously you need to complete the quilt ;) The Pirate has gotten a job in his field with the State and plans to do that for 2 years before possibly relocating. He is a saver and we get along well so he will be living at home. Fortunately the Beast and SweetGirl just moved from an apt into their first house and have left a good amount of space free in our attic. Welcome home to your boy!