Sunday 7 December 2014

Christmas Club 2014

There's an amusing photo doing the rounds of social media.  It's of a rather guilty looking dog with a Christmas tree laying flat on the floor behind it.  The caption is 'Oh great, you're here.  The Christmas tree just fainted.'   I saw it and suddenly had inspiration for my Christmas Club post!
 
At Christmas we ...
 
... always had chocolate coins and novelties hung on the tree along with all the decorations.  The idea was that we could find one each per day to eat in the lead up to Christmas.  By December 24th it was hard to find that last one hidden deep within the innermost branches.  We always had a real tree, so you had to brave the prickles to reach them - well worth any pain or injury inflicted in my mind! But Mum didn't just hide little treats for me and my sister, there was always a couple of sugar mice hidden in there for the dog to have on Christmas Eve too. 
 
Well, one year Mum clearly didn't hide those mice as well as she thought.  The dog wandered into the dining room while we were having dinner and we noticed rather a lot of pine needles the fur along her back.  Not to mention the top of her head, and there was a little self satisfied spring in her step as she licked her lips and laid down in front of the fire.
 
Our suspicions aroused, we went to investigate - and when we opened the door to the sitting room, the tree was on its side, baubles all over the floor, tinsel pulled off and no sign of any sugar mice.  And as we were standing there, assessing the damage and marvelling at how hard she must have tugged on those mice to pull a 6ft tree over on top of her, we heard the padding of paws, turned round and there she was with an innocent look in her eyes as if to say 'What?  Me? I know nothing about it.'
 
Come share a Christmas story over at Sian's. It'll put you in the mood for mince pies and mulled wine!
 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless Deb! Thanks for the chuckle this morning. I bet your Mum was extra careful after that. :)

scrappyjacky said...

It reminds me of the time our dog ate all the chocolates on the tree....and managed to leave all the silver paper attached!!

Ruth said...

Funny story and I could picture looking exactly your old pooch, too!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

We hung catnip treats in the tree one year as cat gifts.

Yeah. I have no idea what we were thinking either. :)

Jane said...

this made me smile, great story.

Sian said...

Haha! What a great story. It made me laugh but at the same time I could feel those prickles and that air of resignation there must have been in the air. That tree had to go back up again..

Thanks Deb. it's a good one!

Jo said...

Such a great story, I can't stop laughing x

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

So funny, Deb. I can totally picture the scene.

Miriam said...

I love this story! and it reminds me of something similar happening to us! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh at this post! Brilliant! [A fellow Christmas Club-er]

Alison said...

Great story Deb!...am assuming there are no treats on the tree for Coco?! Xx

Susanne said...

Yep, I can see that all. Great story.