Monday 19 December 2016

Memorandum Monday

I've seen and heard many a carol singer, and I've heard of the word 'wassaill' but up until this weekend I hadn't actually seen a 'waissaller'.  This has now changed as this weekend

I was serenaded by a group of wassailers for the first time.


Now, I'm not keen on being chosen from a crowd of people to have the chorus of a song sung to me.  I'm not one to seek to be the centre of attention (following an unforgettable moment when being captured by an Elvis lookalike many years ago) and this will teach me not to sit on the end seat of a table in a restaurant. 
 
But this was very festive and light hearted and the spotlight soon turned to someone else and it was a lovely unexpected start to a festive meal out with friends.  It did add to the atmosphere of the evening and after a swift gin and tonic I recovered from the embarrassment pretty quickly.  Why me?  Why do they always pick on me? 
 
So, I'm making slight, slow progress with arrangements for next weekend, and I know that once I finish work on Tuesday I will be able to get to grips with everything.  List making is happening with a vengeance here and I have to keep reminding myself that it is just for two days!  Last year I had 16 for dinner on Christmas day so in theory having only 7 this year should be half the stress ...
 
Time to pop over to Sian to see what she's been up to this weekend before Christmas.
 
 


5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Christmas Deb. Not sure I would like being centred out & sung to but as you say all in good cheer.

Susanne said...

Oh what a bit of unexpected fun - glad you recovered!! Lists are most certainly the key to getting it all done - good luck, although I am sure you don't need it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sian said...

Yep: a swift G&T would have been needed here too. But you have made it sound so festive and cheery too. All the very best with your preparations and a Very Merry Christmas to you all!

helena said...

they look a friendly bunch - and a fun festive addition to a meal out. If only 7 was half the stress of 14! Have a fabulous Christmas

alexa said...

What a cheery-looking group, and they must have liked your smile and thought you were very approachable and a good sport, or they wouldn't have chosen you :). Seven sounds daunting enough! and I hope there'll be little spaces to relax and enjoy all that you have achieved this year.