Friday 14 April 2017

Liberate Your Art 2017

I'm not sure what made me decide to join in with Liberate Your Art for the first time last year.  One of those spur of the moment things I guess, because there is no way on earth that I consider myself an 'artist'.  I have trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler, so there is no paint related artist blood running through my veins!  So when I read through the sign up post I realised that art takes many forms, not just the initial idea of paint on canvas.  I've always been keen to create - whether it be by sewing, knitting or sticking bits of paper onto other bits of paper and creating scrapbook pages - so as a 'newbie' to LYA I photographed things that I had made as examples of my 'art'.

When the LYA mail started arriving last year I discovered that out of the postcards I received, some of my favourites were photographs and I realised that you don't actually have to physically make something for it to be art, that you can make art through the lens of a camera.  I filed that idea away for the coming year's project!

Enough of my history with LYA - let me share some very special mail that has arrived on my door mat within the last couple of weeks.



Aren't they fabulous?


From street life observations, finding art in a close up view of a vintage object, collage, and original art. 

And along the way I've discovered new blogs to check out and new Instagram accounts to follow.  None of which would have happened if I hadn't been brave enough to put my insecurities aside and sign up and join in.  My postcards came from many different states in America and one from Europe.  Yes, one postcard had a very long round trip from Slovenia to America and then America to England!  Now I'm thinking, we need to advertise this more in countries this side of the Atlantic - so please consider joining in next year.  It's always good to receive Happy Mail, be inspired by others and forge new acquaintanceships.

For my postcards this year I didn't photograph 'things' that I had made, but when I was on holiday last year I kept an eye out for things that I thought may be suitable for making into a postcard.   Inspiration came in many ways!  While on holiday in Portugal I found some very clever street art painted onto old crumbling cement walls.  Then while laying on a sunlounger and staring up at the sky I noticed how striking the opening petals of a lily growing on the patio looked against the blue, and on an early morning walk, the blossom on the tree looked pretty with the sun gently shining through the branches.  A trip to the English coastline gave me inspiration for my final card.  I love beach huts, and we are lucky to live in an area which is well known for its colourful huts along the sea front.  These were taken while walking between Frinton on Sea and Walton on the Naze on the Essex coast.  So these were the five postcards that I sent out.


 Please do visit Kat's blog to see the kind of mail which has been travelling between the participants of this year's project. Click here for more information.  Ready for some facts and figures? 

876 pieces of art were sent around the world
146 people took part, and those people came from ...
12 different countries


But even better than that, join in next year!  It really is a great project and Kat makes it so easy to participate in even if you live outside of the US. I promise to let you know when the sign up starts for 2018, so start thinking about what you can make into a postcard now!

15 comments:

Sian said...

Having organised a swap or two from here, I have an idea of what might go into one this large and I am full of admiration for Kat and her organisational skills. She truly brings people across the world together. It's wonderful.

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Hi Deb, thanks or letting me know where one of my postcards landed. :) The one you got is actually my favorite one. I'm glad you decided to participate. I like your take on the cards. :)

chasing the sun said...

Hi deb :-)
I love the art that you created thru your lens! The postcards you received are fabulous too :-)

Sea Dean - Paint a Masterpiece said...

Hi Deb, I'm always happy to connect with creators in the country Where I was born. I enjoyed rading about your artistic adventures and look forward to seeing you in the swap next year. By all mens promote away on your side of the pond!

Beth in NEPA said...

I enjoyed reading this post. I like the idea of hunting for things to photograph as they might be usable next year. I can now hardly wait to participate again. I also enjoyed seeing the cards you received.

hula-la said...

Great post! And you never know where the next art postcard will come from! This is my 5th year, and 2 of mine were art creations, and 3 were photographs. Hope to see you again next year! Aloha!

Kelly Warren said...

Thanks for sharing your experience! This is my third year participating and I've received all sorts of art!

Sheila said...

Loved reading your post Deb! You received a great group of cards, and your cards a fantastic too! I really enjoyed learning about the stories behind each one. YOU ARE an artist! You see with an artistic eye! Don't ever doubt it. See you next year, happy creating to you :)

Mellowood Gallery said...

It was nice to hear about your 'first' year and that you didn't let not being a painter stop you from joining. This was my first year and I was a bit leery. I enjoyed seeing both the cards you received and the cards you sent - the photos are super. I look forward t see what you come up with next year!

Unknown said...

Love the cards you received and that you didn't let that stop you. Keep on doing what you're doing

Kat van Rooyen, CZT said...

Great post! Love the ones you received and the ones you sent ❤

Suzette Rothlisberger said...

I love your collection of postcards. I even got one of them. I'll look forward to seeing you here again next year. Take care!

Cathy H. said...

You received some wonderful postcards! I love that you thought about your postcards all year and looked for things to photograph! They are all fantastic!

Ruth said...

This does look like such a fun project ... will you give me a nudge next year? Both the postcards you received and sent out are lovely.

twil123123 said...

You received some beautiful treasures...love!!!