Monday 17 April 2017

Memos, Mail and Me

The very best of good intentions is my theme for my Monday post, linking in with Sian and the other Monday memo makers. Which has nothing at all to do with any intention to restrain myself from eating chocolate for breakfast yesterday.  But if that had been my intention, it is only fair to be honest and say I failed miserably.  No, this is an intention to dust off the sewing machine ...

"Let's completely refurbish the conservatory" said my husband, so we did.  New roof, new windows, new window sills. 

"As it looks so lovely and new again, let's replace the furniture too" he said, so we did.  

"That quilt that Coco likes to sit on when she's enjoying the sun on the sofa out there is looking old and faded" I said, "I'm going to order some new fabric to make a new quilt to pick out the colours of the buttons on the new sofa", so I did. 

"I'm going to make a start on that new quilt as soon as the fabric arrives" I said, but I didn't.  

Before I give you my excuses as to why I haven't even cut out so much as a square of fabric, let me first take your mind off the fact that I've not started what I promised by sharing with you a picture of the fabric that I bought.

I think it will look nice.  
When I get round to cutting it out and sewing it together.  
Which may not be any time soon.  

Because no matter how good my intentions are to get going on that project,  my other mail this week included the ingredients needed to make these ...


We're going to hang a little decorated wicker heart on the end chair of each alternate row along the aisle of the room where Rachel is getting married.  Which means we need 12. I thought I could get away with just winding the stem of each flower into the wicker but I don't think that it's going to be sturdy enough.  So it means that I need to get to grips with a hot glue gun.  Which I have never done before; wish me luck!

I also received the paper to make these ...



My dear friend Denise very kindly cut out the petals for me, and I 'just' have to curl and cut and stick them together to make flowers which will eventually be stuck onto ribbon (more hot glue gun action) to wind round serviettes on the dinner tables at the reception.  Since taking this photo I've done a few more and it total I now have 26 finished roses.   

I need 80.

You see my dilemma - there is no time constraint on making a quilt but I have a deadline for the flowers!  I know it seems like I have a long time but you have no idea how long it takes me to do each flower.

So that's me for this Monday, sitting amid a crumpled heap of metallic foil which once decorated an Easter egg, and trying to get rid of the crumbs of chocolate from the keyboard of the computer.  Let's hide the evidence eh?  


8 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Deb just think of chocolate as the breakfast of champions - champions at getting it all done in time (not necessarily on time,but in time) but isn't cocco a bean at the beginning? Those paper roses look a treat but also looks like a lot of fussing. I have used a glue gun before - oh do be very careful of hot glue - I have a few burn scars to prove my ability to weal a glue gun ... oh yes the fabric for the quilt does look quite cheerful. Happy (safe) week ahead.

helena said...

Loving your sofa with the coloured buttons and your choice of fabrics. Also loving those floral decorations - you will have crimped and glued fingers by the end of all that creating! have a good week

alexa said...

My goodness, I am surprised there is any time left for chocolate nibbling with all that you have to do ... Such attention to detail is going to make this wedding very special indeed. The quilt fabric will keep till you can draw breath - it's going to be very colourful.

Sian said...

I'd be delighted to come round and give you a hand with those flowers if I could. The special personal touches you are adding to your daughter's big day are going to make it even more memorable. It's going to look so pretty!

Wishing you a great week of hot glue gunning excitement.

Honoré said...

The flowers and heart will be treasured for years to come by the bride and the guests...will they get to keep them? Yes, I'm, sure the sofa qullt can wait and it will be fun pulling out the colors of the buttons. Brilliant idea. Do for sure replenish your chocolate supply; you deserve it!
Cheers~

Karen said...

Oh, my! You've made my to-do list fade in importance! I love your new couch; those multi-colored buttons are wonderful. I do remember all the wedding preparations, and it seemed like a lot even without as much crafting as you have laid out before you. Time for a crafting party of friends, perhaps? Good luck with it all---the wreaths and roses are lovely!

Maggie said...

I think you deserve some chocolate after making all those. Both the flowers and hearts will lovely additions to your daughter's wedding.

Ruth said...

Your new sofa is lovely ... the buttons look like Smarties! Your daughter is very lucky to have such a talented mum, novice with a hot glue gun or not!