Saturday 20 January 2018

Random thoughts

But actually, it would seem that I'm not so good at 'random' as I thought.  

I've been given the incentive to get the creative mojo back as the Art department at the school in which I work have introduced a Thursday afternoon 'Arty Party' for staff after the students have gone home at 3.40pm.  You can go along and do anything creative that you want, use their equipment and make things.  Anything you want.  So I've got to grips with my 'Tipsy Tumbler' quilt and used my time to square up the few blocks that I'd made.

This afternoon I threaded up my sewing machine and got to work making some more blocks so that I could start laying out the rows. 


In a random pattern.  Random.  Should be easy - right?  No pattern to follow, just lay them down.  


So why do I want to find a way of having one of each base colour in each row.  A straight one in the middle of one pointing to the left and one to the right.  It's taking everything I've got to not worry if I have two of the same colour next to each other.  (That's not going to happen, I know that for sure). I didn't realise that I was so bothered about things being equal.  But it's a good way to spend a dreary afternoon, I think it's going to be a very quick dog walk today, not that she cares if it's raining or not!

We have no plans for tonight which is kind of nice.  I feel like just cooking a nice meal, opening a bottle of wine and seeing if there's a film we can watch on the tv.  We went to the cinema on Thursday and saw 'Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri'.  I'd read great reviews about it but it wasn't as great as I was expecting - it reminded me of 'Fargo'.  I think I'd set my expectations too high!  However, we did see the trailer for the new Tom Hanks film with Meryl Streep - The Post and both agreed that we'd like to see that next time.

Have a good weekend!


5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Maybe that's your random challenge to let the quilt randomly come together - so far it's looking quite nice.

So many films these days are quite disappointing. I have hopes that The Wrinkle in Time will be good (fingers crossed).

Quite like the idea of an easy dinner at home, something nice to drink & a cuddle on the sofa ...

Tracy said...

I had a chuckle at your random quilt as I would be doing the same thing, teehee.
Looking really pretty, looking forward to seeing it complete :)

alexa said...

That sounds that like quite a challenge - funny how our brains seek pattern, isn't it! They look lovely ... I hope your evening was very pleasant: cosy sounds about right for this weather. That's a great idea from the art department. Do many people take it up?

Ruth said...

I share your dilemma over a random pattern ... I'd be exactly the same! How lovely that school runs an craft slot for staff, it's almost as good as my GodDaughter's after school Harry Potter club!

Leslie Roberts Clingan said...

Oh, I can feel your pain! I take OCD meds and I still try to control everything, line up everything, adjust everything, balance everything. Do you have to sew the together as you go or can you wait until you have all of the pieces/blocks made and the put the whole thing together? I think I would want to get everything laid out and then see. But I am big on patterns and balance, too.

We have been waiting for a couple of months for a good movie. One of my blogger buddies is going to see all of the Oscar nominees. I wold like to do that, too, but can't see paying all that money to see films I know I am not going to like. Does that make sense?

We are hoping Hostiles comes out here. My PC is very anxious to see it.

Your tipsy tumblers are turning out very nicely. Glad you are enjoying this creative activity!