Thursday 6 September 2018

A sentence a day in August

August?  How on earth have we reached the end of August?  I must be getting old because the time is just flying by.  What a good job Leslie organised us into writing a sentence a day to remind us of what the month held.  

Day 1 Our son returned from France - sounds like they had a fabulous time and a week wasn't long enough.

Day 2 Took Coco to a new dog groomers as the lady who usually cuts her fur is unwell at the moment, it was just as nerve wracking as trying out a new hairdressers for myself.

Day 3 My dad died back in 1989, but today marks the 100th anniversary of the day he was born - that sounds so strange.

Day 4 My cousin is completely renovating her house (and I mean completely!) and we went to visit to see what's been happening.

Day 5 Went to see a guitar duo at a local venue - they are so talented.

Day 6 Quiet day, visited our son and daughter in law.

Day 7 Back to Zumba after a month's break - ouch!

Day 8 Husband back at dentist for the final part of his treatment - hope this is the end of the problem.

Day 9 It rained - normally in England this would not be newsworthy but this summer has been anything other than normal!

Day 10 Spent most of the day decorating over at our daughter's house, Leo needs to have a nice new bedroom to move into so that the nursery is ready for the new baby in December.

Day 11 Our son is decorating, we've been helping with decorating over at our daughter's and so it only seems right to start freshening up our own house.  

Day 12 Temperature has dropped, normal Sunday lunch of Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding will resume.

Day 13 Went on a 'play date' with Leo to visit my friend who also had her grandson visiting for the day - this seems very strange!

Day 14 A routine check up at the opticians ended up not with a new prescription but with a diagnosis of dry eyes

Day 15 Limped round to a neighbour who is a sports therapist for an appointment to see if she can help with the tendonitis in my achilles - after an hour of deep massage I now feel as if I've run a marathon.  (Please do not accidentally read that as 'I now feel as if I could run a marathon!)

Day 16 Our 'Leo' day and it was pouring with rain so we were confined to home, but we sent 'Grandad' up into the loft and he found our son's old multi storey carpark and bucket of cars - that kept us busy for the rest of the day. 




Day 17 We have a poorly pup and so tomorrow she will be off to her least favourite place - the vet.

Day 18 Let's not mention the indignity of Coco having her temperature taken at the vets 😱, let's concentrate on a nice get together with friends in the evening sharing an Indian takeaway!

Day 19 A year ago today our son and daughter in law had their official wedding ceremony at Clissold House in London


Day 20 We have bought our grandson a play kitchen for his birthday, I decided to build it early just in case there was a piece missing when we unpacked it - all those Ikea units I've built over the years were good practice.



Day 21 A very overdue visit to the hairdressers for a cut and colour

Day 22 Popped over to visit my mother in law

Day 23 We did an early birthday dinner for our daughter and let Leo choose the balloon for the table 

Day 24 My daughter's 32nd birthday - of course I had to carry on the tradition of making her a cake!

Day 25 Temperatures have dropped, by 11am I had changed from a skirt and t shirt to chinos with a long sleeved top and I even had to rethink what I would wear in the evening when we went out for dinner with friends

Day 26 A year ago today we were celebrating our son and daughter in law's wedding on a gloriously hot summer day in a marquee in a field serenaded by a mariachi band - this year they celebrated their anniversary and housewarming with a family party in their new home.



Day 27 It's another two days away but as it was a bank holiday here, Leo's had an early birthday party - how can he possibly be almost two already?

Day 28 'Bills' restaurant in town is offering a bottle of wine up to the value of £20 free if you order two main meals so naturally we had to take advantage.

Day 29 Leo's birthday

Day 30 Festivities over, we are now preparing ourselves for looking after a young man in the 'Terrible Twos' stage one day a week (should probably start taking some multi-vitamins to get my strength up!)

Day 31 I returned to work (for one day) to help out by doing some data inputting, it was lovely to go back and catch up on everyone's news but I honestly can't say I miss the work.

So that's it - farewell to August.  Temperatures are dropping, it's getting darker earlier in the evenings and there's dew on the grass in the mornings - Autumn is definitely just around the corner. 


5 comments:

Ruth said...

I do love these glimpses of your month … plenty of blog posts tucked away in there, if you felt like sharing more?

Barbara Eads said...

And just like that, you've recorded "a month in the life!" I love this, but fear I would fall behind and then feel guilty about it! Of all your mini memories, I like the kitchen for your grandson! My son-in-laws are all cooks. I think it's a good idea to start them early. And then I like your comment about not missing work. Sometimes, I think you have to go back to know you don't want to do it anymore. Besides, if you were working, you wouldn't have time to do these sentences a day!

Patio Postcards said...

Thanks for the peek at your fabulous August. I cannot believe it's already September 6th let alone 2018! That was nice of you to help out at the school - now some extra spends for a sphere of sorts ...

Andrea said...

I love writing my sentences and then reading them later. And I really enjoy reading others. Sounds like you had a good August! I just love the play kitchen you got for your grandson! What a great gift - I can just imagine all the fun he and you get to have playing with it...

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

El Pasoans love their mariachi music. So fun to see it being played across the pond. I have heard from several other British bloggers that your summer has been most unusually sunny. Have you preferred the sun to rain? We are in the midst of our monsoon or rainy season now and it is such a pleasure to have cloudy skies and the promise of rain in our forecasts.

My grands play with my daughters' old childhood toys. Good for you to have kept some treasures for Leo to explore. Love that you bought him a kitchen. Raisin' him up right, you are!