Monday 13 May 2024

Whitstable weekends

 We are just back from a long weekend in a seaside town called Whitstable, which is in the county of Kent. It's just under two hours from us but involves the M25 motorway and bridge crossing which can be notoriously bad for traffic problems.  We were so lucky to have no holdups in either direction which can be considered a minor miracle!

We rented a very dog friendly Airbnb flat which was the whole ground floor of a house very close to the seafront.  The beach there isn't sandy, except for one long stretch which is only visible at low tide, but it makes for ideal conditions for catching oysters. Whitstable oysters are famous, but I can't bear the thought of eating one.  I guess you are either an oyster fan or you aren't!





There are lots of little alleyways in town, apparently used in the past for smuggling  and this one has a fun name



Apparently the local policeman was a rather portly gentleman and mischievous children would run down this narrow alleyway knowing he couldn't fit in it to chase them!  We discovered it shortly after enjoying a delicious freshly cooked doughnut in one of the cafes along the front and fortunately I still managed to fit between the walls!

Whitstable Castle was very close to our house and we enjoyed a lovely walk around there in the sunshine.  Boy were we lucky with the weather!  My shorts were seen out in public for the first time this year 😉


We didn't venture too far as it was just so nice to wander and explore the town.  We did go to the next town along and caught a beautiful sunset.

The only other place we visited was Reculver where there are the ruins of a Roman fort.  When it had fallen out of use, a monastery was built in its place in 669 reusing the brickwork from the original structure.  It's a very imposing structure even now it is derelict and a lovely place to walk around on a sunny afternoon.  


So that was a lovely break from our normal weekend routine.  It's so nice to live fairly close to so many coastal resorts.  I need to get the map out and choose our next destination!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Whitstable, although I haven’t been in years. Perhaps I should take my guys this year …
PS: have no idea why I’m coming up as Anonymous! (Do I need to tell you it’s Ruth typing this? 😂)

Patio Postcards said...

What a really lovely spot to have a holiday at. A ruins castle & a currently kept up castle - this would be a perfect spot for me. I'm with you on Oysters, although they do create some beauty with their pearls.

Jennifer said...

Sounds lovely. I am in need of a getaway. No castles in our area but plenty of places to get fresh seafood and oysters. But, no thank you!!:) I am definitely in the "not a fan" category. I do hope Coco enjoyed herself!

Barbara Eads said...

Your post is exactly why England is my favorite place on earth! There is so much to see and discover--no matter where you go! Heading to New York City---another favorite--to celebrate a friend's birthday who has never been. Three "girls" on the loose--could be trouble!

Jennifer said...

Deb - thanks so much for you kind comment on my blog. So glad you stopped by. I've been thinking about you lately as our weather has been so British of late!!:) I hope you are having a good week!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

What a lovely getaway. So glad Coco was able to tag along. The only oysters I have eaten and enjoyed were fried. Not interested at all in the little urchins on the half shell.

Fun story about the alley way. Can't imagine you would ever eat enough doughnuts to not be able to squeeze down that passage. You are so slim. I don't know that I remember ever seeing you in pants or trousers. You look youthful and stylish and COMFORTABLE.

That monastery must be so imposing standing up on the hilltop all by itself. I can't imagine that anything built today would withstand the years and elements like that. Oh, I hope to visit your part of the world someday soon.