Saturday 23 July 2011

Latecomer

I've been toying with the idea of joining in Rinda's scavenger hunt ever since she first mentioned it, but you know how it is: "I'll never find even half of those" says one half of your brain and the other, more optimistic soul says "Well, you could at least try".  I was chatting to the husband about it the other day and read out the list of things to find.  He agreed with the pessimistic side of me "You won't be able to find many of those" he said.  And so I put the idea on the back burner.  Didn't turn off the heat completely, just left the idea simmering away.
Fast forward to Tuesday and we are up in Sheffield.  The sun is shining and we have half an hour to while away before the graduation ceremony.  So we went for a walk to a nearby park, son resplendant in his ceremonial robes and us glowing in the warm pride of seeing him all grown up and about to have his success recognised.  Despite travelling to that area for the last seven years, we've never actually spent much time exploring the city.  Those of you with uni age 'kids' will know that once you have served your purpose of transporting the little darlings to their new homes, helped them unpack their worldly goods, paid for a month's shopping, filled up their kitchen with food and drink and taken them out for lunch, you are soon sent on your way back down the motorway with a tear in your eye, a silent car and an empty back seat and boot.  No time for seeing a bit more of the area.
So we found ourselves in Weston Park, a beautiful area and I grabbed the opportunity to take a few more pictures.  "It's a shame you aren't doing that scavenger hunt" says the husband.  "Look at the lovely wooden bridge":
Five minutes later, "I know what, let's go and take some photos down by the museum"

"Hey mum, see that big glass building over there?  That's where I spent most of this last semester.  It's the main university library"
 Hang on a minute ... Rinda - is it too late to join in?

8 comments:

Cheri said...

I'd say you just did! Lovely photos. And as a mom of a college kid, totally get it!

alexa said...

Loos like you are well on your way! Know what you mean about never having the chance to really visit the DS and DD's university towns. At the start, you think - great! and suddenly three years are gone. :(

Amy said...

You've done very well for someone who is not supposedly on the hunt! I, on the other hand have struggled immensly to find anything!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Deb! This is a great way to jump right in on the scavenger hunt. I've been kind of surprised at the amount of things I can find for the hunt myself. I'm really hoping that a person dressed as a pirate will present themselves within the next few weeks! LOL

Sian said...

Our lot have been more enthusiastic about this too - they even shouted for their dad to stop the car so I could get a castle picture the other day. I love that wooden bridge you found - and so will Rinda!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmm, I too have been toying with the idea and may well join you as a late entry! Love the photos you have taken so far.

Alison said...

I have to say I am obsessing somewhat over the wooden bridge...don't know where I'm going to find that at all-welcome to the hunt!
Alison xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

Certainly not too late to join in! Love your photos (and Sian is right - the bridges is my favorite). I think the pirate and the unicycle will be the tough ones for me. Will have to happen by chance, I think.
rinda