Saturday 21 October 2017

Sorting out your drawers ...

... or

how wearing your lucky knickers can put a spring in your step.


We had a training day at work yesterday.  I was not looking forward to it as experience has shown that Inset Day speakers have a tendency to focus on teaching related topics which have zero interest to the secretarial staff from the office.  There were two talks that were compulsory for everyone to attend.  Then we were free to escape back to the office and get on with our normal work.  We reluctantly took our seats.

The first talk was entitled 'The Art of Being Brilliant'.  And despite being very dubious about it, the talk actually was brilliant.  The guy who took the course was funny, engaging and had some excellent fun ideas on positive psychology. 

He assured us that we would feel much more brilliant if we could walk into work like this clip  from YouTube from the film 500 days of summer.   Walking into work with a smile and positive attitude is contagious and if we all gave it a go, you just might all find the day went a little better.



There are 5 working days in the week, all exactly the same.  Why do Mondays feel worse than Fridays?  If you spend Monday feeling 'blurgh' it just makes the day seem longer and the weekend further away.  And if one person in the office is feeling 'burgh' it's almost guaranteed to affect the way everyone else feels.  We also spend too much time waiting for the thing that is going to make us happier.  Saving things for that moment when everything falls into place and we think that life will suddenly become brilliant.  Just suppose that this is your brilliant time.  Suppose we can make this actual point in life a little bit more brilliant than we think it is.  If we can recreate that Friday feeling on a Monday, the whole week will feel better.  So, with that in mind...

open your knicker drawer.

We all have different kinds of knickers.  Don't we?  Average kind of day to day knickers, those we save for best - to wear under our favourite going out clothes, and those ones which have seen better days, nothing stylish at all just comfortable and do the job they're meant to do. Pick up those knickers.  And throw them away.  They don't make you feel good, and you may even be a little bit ashamed of them.  When Monday comes, open your knicker drawer. Pick out a pair of your posh pants.  Those ones which make you feel a bit special, they're newer than the old ones, probably a nicer colour or fabric, possibly trimmed with lace or ribbon.  Now get dressed and ready for work.  Do you have a little instant 'feel better' factor going on?  You walk with a bit of a swagger, you know you look good underneath those ordinary work clothes.  If you went to the loo and accidentally walked out the door with the hem of your skirt tucked in your knickers, you wouldn't be quite so ashamed.  What's the point of keeping a pair of lucky knickers just for best, why not make today a little more special and wear them now.  

We're on half term holiday this week, but I just know that when we are all back in the office the following week, we're all going to be looking at each other and wondering if we've all done as he suggested!





6 comments:

Maggie said...

This made me laugh and reminded me of two things. A children's book that the girls had called The Queen's Knickers. A hilarious book which if you have never seen is worth searching out.
Secondly it reminded me of the sister on A & E at the hospital where I trained. She declared that she always wore tidy underwear AND she ironed it because you just never know when you may end up on a stretcher in A & E. She has a good point!
Enjoy your drawers!

Leslie Roberts Clingan said...

My knicker drawer (or undies, as I call them) is one of my neatest drawers but your post as prompted me to go in and sort out some of my older 'models' and buy some newer, prettier replacements. My husband thanks you!

I read an article years ago saying pretty much what you have said here. Putting on pretty foundation pieces can set the mood for the whole day. I used to say my pretty things for a special night out. My jewelry for a fancy occasion. My favorite perfume for an important day. My candles for romantic evenings.

Now I am trying hard to recognize that every day should be special, fancy, important and have an element of romance. Thank you for seconding that notion in your post! Off to find some pretties panties!

Ruth said...

Haha, great post! Excuse me for just a mo, I'm off to swap my knickers!

Patio Postcards said...

LOL, COL, LOL. That's what they always tell new trainers - image everyone in their underwear.

Now that would have been the talk I would have enjoyed. Not than I am bragging, especially about underwear, but I have nothing but "good" underwear & I must admit I feel quite comfortable wearing it. (col) & there's a really long story of why this is so. I just need to apply some of this theory to, yes unbelievable, to my scrapping stash. I have been saving so much of it until I have the perfect photo to go with it.

Hope you enjoy the break.

Barbara Eads said...

I haven't thought about my "knickers" in a long time. You are right about one thing---I have some that really should be tossed! I haven't shopped for new ones in ages. I should make that a priority!

alexa said...

Not just thought-provoking but amusing too! Off to have a rummage. I fear I may not actually own any 'pretty-pretty' ones :).