Friday 26 January 2024

#WBOYC January

 

The first WBOYC of the new year and the twelfth one that I have done in this format ... time for a new look next month maybe?  In the meantime, in what seems to have been the longest month of the year, we've reached the last Friday in the month and are ready to share what we have been doing.

J

Jigsaw puzzles and January sales.  My daughter gave me a couple of jigsaws to keep me occupied - one down and now the more difficult one to go.  I didn't actually buy much in the sales - I use the mantra of if you had the money and you didn't feel the urge to buy it before the sale, do you really need to buy it now just because it is on special offer?  But I did succumb to a rather lovely Katie Loxton bag which I know I will use a lot and is in a different colour to the rest of my handbags.



A

After far too long a gap since our last meeting, I had lunch out with an old school friend.  She is still working and had rather too many health issues for us to get together last year, so we are both hoping that this lunch would be the start of getting back to our regular meet ups.

N

National Theatre productions have started to be live streamed via our local Arts Centre so we went to see 'Dear England' to get the atmosphere of a London Theatre without having to embrace the somewhat unreliable winter train journey into London.  It was so good; the time flew by and it was great to find something that both of us thoroughly enjoyed.



U

Unhappy news from the family of an old school friend to say that he had died really made me stop and take stock.  I'd known him for 60 years, our claim to fame was that he'd been my partner on stage at the Royal Albert Hall in a schools country dancing festival and he was genuinely a lovely person.  

A

As soon as my friend Sal retired we made arrangements to meet up for a midweek lunch.  She really was my best friend when our children were small.  We met at ante natal classes and just hit it off so well.  The bonus being that our husbands got on well too.  I was sad when they had to relocate due to their jobs changing.  Not hundreds of miles away, but far enough not to be able to get together so easily.  She is happy to say that she is a few months younger than me so not at official retirement age yet, but she finally took early retirement from her job and we quickly made plans to meet up at a half way point for a long lunch.  Here's to many more!

R

Routines - getting back into them after Christmas is quietly comforting as life gets back to normal.  I did have intentions to declutter a room a week but have only really managed to do two and so that would mean there were two weeks where I failed miserably at sticking to my intentions!

Y

Yay!  We booked a holiday!  After much deliberation we have booked to go to Mallorca.  We last went there about 20 years ago and have very happy memories.  We aren't ones to return to the exact place we have been before, so as our previous holidays were on the north and east coastlines we are going to the west coast, to a resort called Puerto de Soller.  There's some nice walks around there and an old tram which takes you to the town of Soller and it's not too far to the capital, Palma. It's nice to have something to look forward to because, between you and me, I've had enough of dark mornings, early sunsets, and drizzly damp weather. 



I guess it is time to share the 1 Second Everyday Video clip!



Please also pop and see what Australian Deb has been up to in her summertime January.



10 comments:

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I love these posts. Almost like meeting in real life and catching up with each other. First, I am so sorry about the loss of your childhood dance partner and friend. It is amazing to think we have people in our lives, other than family, that we have known for 60 years.

Glad you were able to get together for lunch with your friend. I have only a couple of gals I see now and then from my school librarian days. But I am not much of a social creature.

Love the new bag. What a great neutral color. Glad you afforded a treat for yourself. I forget to change my bag but need to try to do better. Bags are something we 'wear' every time we leave home.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Good grief, I am getting old. I meant to comment about your planned holiday. Had to open a tab to check out Puerto de Soller. Looks lovely. And warm and sunny. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Is Coco going with??

retirementreflections said...

Hi, Deb - Thank you for being a regular at #WBOYC. I enjoyed reading about your January. That's very exciting about your upcoming trip to Mallorca. Please send us lots of pics!

Women Living Well After 50 said...

Hi Deb, thanks for sharing your January with us at #WBOYC. I always enjoy your wrap up posts using the letters as a guide. My daughter got hooked on jigsaws during COVID and always has one on the go. Yay that you have booked a holiday which is always lovely to look forward to. Have a lovely February and look forward to reading about it.

Deb's World said...

Yay a trip Mallorca to look forward to, how exciting. I like this format for the month and you've been creative with your letters :). Thanks for joining us and sharing bits of your life for #WBOYC, a very different Deb's World climate to mine :)

Patio Postcards said...

You had a very busy January with a few lows in there. How wonderful to be traveling to Mallorca. I do like these posts where you recap your month using the letters of the month, clever!

Ruth said...

Firstly, I'm so sorry for the loss of your life-long friend - am sending you a virtual hug.
Jigsaws, lunches with friends and the booking of a holiday - all great ways to beat the January blues!

Ruth said...

Forgot to add that I'm happy you enjoyed Dear England - a superb production!

Christie Hawkes said...

Great advice on sale shopping. I'm going to keep that in mind. I also received some jigsaw puzzles recently. I completed one difficult one and I'm ready for a little more relaxing one now. #WBOYC

Barbara Eads said...

There's so much here to comment on. First, I love your new purse. The color is perfect to go with anything. Next, I love the theater. The fact that you have the opportunity to see something without out having to brave weather issues is ideal. I also love Ralph Fiennes. Lastly, we, too have friends facing some very serious health issues. It seems like it's all around us. That's why we're traveling as much as we can while we can. Glad to see you have a fun trip planned!