Tuesday 29 July 2008

Prompt 17

This prompt definitely has touched a part of my life that is my relaxation and escape from stresses of everyday life. I love to read. I cannot get to sleep if I have not read at least one page from the book that I am reading. There are some types of books that I prefer to others, but I have very varied tastes in authors.
When I was a stay at home mum, I once enrolled at the library and was determined to try a new author every week. I was starting at A and the theory was, I would work my way to Z. Unfortunately I didn't get to complete my task as I found a part time job and time for reading got reduced. But it was a good way of moving out of my 'comfort zone' and trying authors I would not normally read.
I would not say that I particularly enjoy historical novels, but do enjoy the work of Philippa Gregory and have read several of her books. For the times that I want to stretch my mind and try and outguess the author I enjoy Jeffrey Deaver's series of Lincoln Rhyme books. I have never managed to guess 'whodunit' before all is revealed at the end. I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoy 'chick lit' and eagerly await the latest Marian Keyes and Jane Green. Erica James is a current favourite as is Penny Vicenzi too.
Autobiographies only interest me if I like the person whose life story is being told! I loved the Jackie Onassis book, but have equally enjoyed Richard Hammond's story of his recovery from that awful crash. Sometimes it is nice to read fact over fiction.
My suitcase for holiday always holds at least 3 books, and I try to take varied types and styles. When abroad, I like to read books set in foreign places too and the book I have ready for my next holiday is set in Italy.
'We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading' How true that is and an inspirational parent or teacher will do just that.If you enjoy reading, you are never bored, and a book can lift your spirits and take you away from the mundane parts of your life.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

The last paragraph is so true! Being an only child my books were my friends!

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

'We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading' That is so true - hopefully I'm teaching my girls that.