Saturday 17 March 2012

Words of Wisdom

My daughter is away on a friend's hen weekend in Tenerife and so we have little Coco to stay for the weekend.  She's been at home with R's boyfriend for the first two days but we offered to have her so he could play rugby/watch rugby/go out with friends without having to worry about getting home to walk or feed the dog.  Plus I love having her here, so any excuse!  
Last night, bedtime was a bit of an issue.  R had sent her here with her old bed which is a soft fluffy padded one as they are trying to wean her away from sleeping in her cage overnight as she is getting to big to be in there.  So before bedtime, I brought the bed into the lounge so she could maybe settle into it nice and early.  No chance.  She took one look at it, stood in it, sniffed it a lot, got out of it and then tipped it upside down and tried to rip it apart.  Then I remembered that this is the reason they stopped using it in the first place and replaced it with a rigid plastic one which fitted in her cage!  Clearly, no sleeping was going to be done in this little bed.  
She loves to lie in our suede bean bag in the lounge and so I decided to bring that upstairs into our daughter's old bedroom, with the plan that I would sleep in that bed for the night and she would be in the same room on the bean bag.  (I was a bit worried that she may try and rip that to pieces if left in a room on her own and then eat the contents of the polystyrene beads!)  Needless to say, the beanbag was left untouched and I woke to the soft touch of a little furry paw on my shoulder laying on the bed next to me.  When I was growing up I loved the Charlie Brown cartoons and it immediately made me think of this one, happiness really is a warm puppy!

9 comments:

Denise said...

This is so lovely- it really made me smile - you having to sleep in another room so Coco gets a good night !! Glad you are enjoying having her x x

scrappyjacky said...

We have a dog who likes nothing better than snuggling up with human company as well.

Cheri said...

well, spoiling the grandpuppy is your prerogative, right?

Maria Ontiveros said...

Our little gypsy sleeps on our bed with us, too. Sounds like you both could use the snuggles.
Rinda

Scrappi Sandi said...

Well...all good intentions but in the end it turned out for the best! When I still lived at home I 'shared' a bed with our Golden Retriever 'Simba' & she definitely got the major share, but it was so lovely to wake up to a warm puppy...even when she wasn't quite a puppy anymore!! :D

Alison said...

Boo sleeps on my bed..and gets really confused when DH comes home and sleeps in 'her' spot!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

I wish Kiera was small enough to sleep in our bed but alas she is far too big. I love that Cheri refers to Coco as your grandpuppy.

Sian said...

"Spoiling the grandpuppy" - love that!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh thank goodness. I just knew you were leading up to the bean bag being torn to shreds! Good job on the spoiling. :o)