Monday 29 February 2016

Creature comforts

It was a weekend for hunkering down and seeking comfort.  A weekend of sneezing, and tissues and keeping warm.  But what's that I hear you say?  It's Memorandum Monday, I need to have tried something new.   Don't take my word for it, ask Sian.   Who can you turn to when you need to find something new to cook in the knowledge that it will work out well? Something that will make you feel warm and well while not needing too much attention.  Who can you rely on? My favourite super-hero of the kitchen - Mary Berry - of course ...
A new recipe for a new comfort food, right there in her book.  It ticked all the boxes, tasty, easy to make and even easier to eat.  Imagine a slightly less tomatoey sauce than a ragu, topped with a cream cheese layer with chives mixed in, topped with a layer of courgettes, topped with some chargrilled red peppers, topped with filo pastry.  Don't take my word for it, try it!
 
The grass is always greener ...
 
Another thing I did for the first time over the weekend, was mow my lawn in February.  Yes, really!  Yes I know I've already said we were both under the weather but one of us was developing 'Man flu' and the other was working on the theory that a bit of fresh air is good for you, whilst keeping you away from any other germs that the Man Fluer may be passing around.
 
In trouble at school ...
 
Since typing up this post, I inadvertently did something else I've not done before.  You see, I work in a school and last year the Headteacher introduced a more formal dress code for staff.  We have to wear a jacket.  I am not a natural jacket wearer and have moaned about this to anyone who cares to listen; all us ladies in the main office always wear smart clothes to work and you don't need to wear a jacket to look smart.  So anyway, as I was leaving for work this morning, Mr Man Flu distracted me with questions about cold relief tablets and tissues and I left for work with my coat on but without my jacket! The first time I've forgotten it since it was introduced.  If the students break the dress code more than four times (those knee length skirts look a lot cooler rolled up to mid thigh, and who on earth would be seen with their blouse tucked in?) it's an after school detention.  I wonder what the punishment is for staff ...  I'll let you know.

7 comments:

Sian said...

Blimey..maybe you'll have to collect litter, or write some lines...It's quite unusual to hear about more formal wear being introduced thee days.

Funny, I was just thinking today that our back garden needs a really good tidy up and there is only one of us who doesn't have a bad back. Tho in fairness he says he did his back in whilst dealing with a blocked drain..

Have a great week Deb. That recipe sounds good. I have a whole collection of Delia, but no Mary. I should fix that.

Patio Postcards said...

Oh to live in a world where you can mow the lawn in February (lol). While I like the dress code idea, just this once I wonder who will notice. I do hope everyone is feeling much better & that the Mary Berry recipe did the trick. Happy week ahead.

Alison said...

That Recipe sounds interesting and I'll be interested to see if you got detention (or worse!) for that 'uniform' misdemeanour! Xx

Cheri said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I'm late to visit so hoping you're feeling much better now that we're half way through the week. I've never cooked a savoury Mary Berry recipe, only cakes. Yours sounds lovely.

alexa said...

Sorry to hear about the lurghi and hope you are recovering? Golly, mowing the lawn? Ours is sodden
and under 8 inches of snow! I hope you don't have any adverse consequences to forgetting the jacket. How curious that staff Lso have to wear a 'uniform'.

Beverly said...

That recipe sounds delicious. It's been 10 days since you posted so certainly hope the manflu is over, there's no doubt yours is ;) So did you go unnoticed at school or did you get detention? lol