Monday 22 February 2016

Saturday Night (Morning) Fever

Dance as if no one is watching

That's what they say isn't it?  I spent my teenage years growing up in the 70s.  The era of the best disco music ever.  My husband is the same age and yet somehow his awful music tastes took him away from all the disco classics and into the Led Zepplin, Yes, Pink Floyd side.  What can I say, he was young, he didn't know any better ;-)
I love to dance, and what I lack in style, I make up for in enthusiasm.  But with my days of going clubbing well and truly behind me, I have to wait for weddings and Christmas parties to get my dancing feet on nowadays.  I used to go to an exercise class that was called Fitsteps, according to their website it was devised by people from Strictly Come Dancing who -

 'decided to mix the graceful steps of Ballroom and the up tempo steps of the Latin dances together to create a really fun, energetic and effective way to stay fit and keep trim that would appeal to everyone, even if they couldn’t dance.' 

Well that sounded right up my street. But the lady who took it was also a zumba teacher and she gradually introduced more of that into the routines and I stopped loving it.  I then found that there was another Fitsteps class in town, 8pm on a Thursday.  Perfect.  Run by a more traditional dance school.  Perfect, no zumba!   I've been going for about a month and loving it.  Well this Thursday I couldn't go but I remembered someone saying that it also ran on a Saturday morning, so I looked up the time and decided to go.  Where does this story fit in with Sian's idea of sharing something new we have learnt?  Bear with me ... this weekend I learnt ...
... that although the Fitsteps class is taught by the same person, in the same venue on Thursdays and Saturdays, on Thursday it is held in a small room at the back of the community centre hidden away from prying eyes, but on Saturdays it is held in the larger front hall which has a window facing onto the thoroughfare leading to the local branch of Tesco and therefore everyone walking to the supermarket from the back car park walks past and can watch the class!  Well at least it made my try to keep up with the routines harder, because you can bet that more than a few people that I know would have been going to do their weekly shop on a Saturday morning.
 
Misheard lyrics/instructions
 
I also learnt that the dance step I thought he called 'cyclone' (arms swinging around in a circle at head height) is actually 'side close' referring to the fact that whilst circling your arms you are also stepping to move your feet from apart to meet in the middle.  Ooops.

9 comments:

Alison said...

That sounds like a really interesting dance class...though I think I'll stick to my line Dancing! Xx

Karen said...

I would love a dance fitness class. Even at weddings, it's hard to get my husband on the dance floor! I give you credit for staying on Saturday morning. I might have fled the scene when I saw that big window.

Patio Postcards said...

Clubbing isn't all it is cracked up to being. I think your dance fit classes sound such fun & I imagine anyone watching is watching with envy - remember dance like no one is watching. Get down, get funky ...

helena said...

sounds a fun class even when offereing entertainment to the Saturday morning supermarket crowd !

Sian said...

Great post! Really good fun to read. Coincidentally, last night when I got in from Pilates TSO was lying on the sofa in a state of collapse after a taster zumba class at Guides. Never try zumba, mum, she said. Sometimes I get to the Friday morning Pilates class run by the same teacher in the same building but it has completely different people at it and a totally different atmosphere. But I do love the sound of Fitsteps. I wonder if it has reached our shores?

Have a great week Deb

Cheri said...

Your Fitsteps class sounds fun! Of course, I'd love anything that involved dancing to 70's era disco stuff... Your hubby and mine had the same tastes in music back when.

Sandra said...

Oh my gosh I wouldn't have stopped laughing at the thought of people watching me dance lol. I'm with you on wanting to dance too but my hubby has even worse taste! He likes Adam and the ants lol

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

So funny! I would be hopeless at either class. Coordination is a skill I'm sadly lacking in. Pilates is much more my tempo!

alexa said...

You really made me smile :). And Fitsteps sounds wonderful - I'll be off googling in a minute. Well done for not going into hiding!