This evening my daughter is hosting a surprise Engagement party for one of her friends. I was given the responsibility of setting the table with all the food she had prepared in advance, making a jug of sangria and hiding the guests. One of the guests was so excited I truly thought she was not going to be able to keep quiet for the few minutes between the guest of honour arriving and opening the door to the dining room. It was like a champagne cork waiting to burst out of the bottle! The bride to be was totally and overwhelmingly surprised and it sounds like it is all going perfectly well. So while I am exhiled in the lounge while they take over the dining room and conservatory I thought I would follow Sian's 49 things:
Have I ever:
1. Seen The Terracotta Army in China - No, and I don't honestly think I'm ever likely to!
2. Cross stitched a sampler - yes, made several when my daughter was born
3. Kept a friend for more than 20 years - My friend Jill and I have been friends for 40 years - oh my goodness, how old do I feel now!
4. Made your own jam - there is a brilliant Pick your Own farm nearby and we used to make strawberry jam every year after getting overenthusiastic with our picking. Please note the 'used to' haven't done it for years now
5. Seen the Crown Jewels in The Tower Of London - Yes, Love those diamonds!
6. Attended a school reunion and enjoyed it - been to quite a few and as you can see from yesterday's post, mini reunions happen quite frequently
7. Kissed the Blarney Stone - no
8. Learned how to tap dance - used to go to classes when my son was at nursery school - I wasn't awfully good but loved it and practised non stop whilst cooking dinner (I have quarry tiled kitchen floor!)
9. Seen one of the Wonders Of The Ancient World - not yet
10. Ridden a tandem bicycle - unlikely to find anyone prepared to risk life and limb on the other half of the bike
11. Commissioned a piece of furniture - no
12. Sold for profit something you made yourself - I used to run the primary school PTA craft stall at summer fetes
13. Seen Sydney Opera House - not yet
14. Walked up the outside of a volcano - well sort of - tourist trip part way up Mount Tiede in Tenerife
15. Met an idol - no but I live in hope that me and Brad Pitt will meet up some day
16. Found or sent a message in a bottle - No
17. Held a stranger's hand, just because they needed you - no but I like to think that if the need occurred, I would be there to do this one
18. Thought you might have seen a ghost - when I was in the operating theatre awaiting the birth of my son by epidural caesarean, I'm convinced I saw my dad who died a year before
19. Been caught speeding - no but there have been a few times when I've seen a speed camera just in time!
20. Won a bet I'm not a betting person, nor were my family but every year my dad would put a bet on for us for the grand national. Once a year tradition!
21. Visited a penpal - and she's been over here too! Been writing to each other since we were 10 (42 years now!)
22. Published a poem - no, my poem writing will never win prizes
23. Had your appendix removed - aged 12. I was taken ill about 6pm but mum left it until morning to ring the doctors because she 'didn't like to bother them once the surgery was closed'
24. Pierced an interesting part of your body - only the normal boring bit of my ears and only one hole in each one
25. Seen your name in lights - no but there is still time (isn't there?)
26. Had a handsome man buy you Champagne - husbands count for this one, right?
27. Had tea at The Ritz - well, not actually the Ritz but we went to tea at Claridges for our silver wedding anniversary and that is very similar
28. Found a peacock feather -At a National Trust property in Cornwall
29. Made a collection of more than 50 objects - Do David Cassidy posters count? My bedroom was covered in them when I was younger
30. Crossed The Equator - not yet
31. Partied through til breakfast - not quite
32. Found a fossil - well pretty sure it was a fossil and it was Lyme Regis which is famed for them!
33. Seen The Northern Lights - only on TV!
34. Built your own house- no and I don't think I ever will
35. Started a Mexican Wave - taken part but never instigated one
36. Judged a competition - once and never again. I can't bear disappointing the people who don't win
37. Flown in a hot air balloon - no
38. Spent too much money on something you've only worn once - but I was a lot younger, I've learnt my lesson
39. Scored an own goal - not that I'm aware of
40. Appeared on live tv - not live TV but I was in an advert once
41. Asked for your money back - only if I feel it is really justified
42. Had your photo taken with someone famous - no, but I was once (very briefly and by mistake) in a bedroom with a premiership footballer
43. Grown your hair long enough to sit on - no, elbow length is as far as I have managed
44. Been locked in somewhere overnight, or long enough for it to start getting scary - no and the thought of this happening is one of my greatest fears!
45. Found something valuable and made sure it was returned to its rightful owner - found a wallet once
46. Taken part in some kind of endurance event or attempt - I did Race for Life and while it's only 5 miles, it was endurance for me!
47. Driven from one end of your country to the other - No, and I'm worse than a bored 5 year old when I'm passenger in a car on a long journey so it's unlikely to happen (are we nearly there yet? ...... I need the toilet .... I'm bored .... Can I drive now .....)
48. Been publicly recognised for bravery or special community service - I'm sure it's only a matter of time ;-)
49. Gone out on the town in an outfit you've made entirely on your own - used to make all my own clothes when I about 18
So, what have you done from this list???