Monday 3 January 2011

Something different

I'm going to try and make 2011 the year that I take the opportunity to learn whatever new things are offered to me.  So that's my word for the year - 'Learn'.  {Kind of appropriate for someone who works in a school eh?}
I have been doing a bit of blog hopping today and came across the idea for taking one photo a week in black and white.  I've not done too much in B&W previously so this is a fine opportunity for me to put good intentions to the test.  I also took the opportunity of downloading an app for my phone that allows me to do a bit more editing.  So - Week One and photo one:
Aren't you pleased you aren't a duck?  Their little feet must be frozen on the ice.  This photo was taken at a lake that is about half a mile from our house.  The snow has now gone from everywhere but bits of the lake are still frozen.  Silly ducks are still congregating on this iced bit because it's close to the path and that's where all the kids like to come down with their bags of bread to feed the ducks.  If they weren't quite so greedy, they could walk across a bit and find where the ice had melted!
Back to school for me tomorrow.  When we broke up and had 2 weeks holiday, it seemed a nice long time.  Suddenly it seems like only yesterday that I was last there.  Got to feel a bit sorry for our year 11 girls though, first day back and they are straight in for GCSE Mock exams!   

10 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

That's a great idea for a photo challenge! I'm not ready to get back to reality either! My kids start tomorrow, and I start next week (though I do have a conference to aattend on Thursday & Friday).
Rinda

Denise said...

I agree with Rinda, it's a really good idea,I think once a week is just right as there is no way I could do daily- but weekly is more possible!,nope I wouldn't want to be a duck either in this cold weather.I'm back tomorrow too.xx

scrappyjacky said...

I think weekly is a good idea too....and really like black and white.

Cheri said...

Love your word "learn" and the way you are already putting it into action!

And I was thinking how some things are universal because the ducks here also hang out where the kids come with their stale bread! You can tell exactly where by the amount of duck poo on the ground! ick.

Anonymous said...

Learn is a fabulous word to live by for a whole year. I am now going to have to try to think of a word.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Deb, you crack me up. Yes, as a matter of fact, I am pleased that I'm not a duck. ;o)

Love your choice of word for this year, and I like the idea of a black and white photo once a week. I always forget about B&W, but am usually pleased when I make the switch.

Hey, and thanks for putting my little blog button up. :o) Happy Me. xo

Amy said...

The B&W idea is a great one ... and yes .... brrrr, so glad I am not a ducky either!

Sian said...

Thank goodness we got our mocks over before Christmas!

I really like this idea for a challenge - it's something a bit different

Rachel Brett said...

I like your photo Deb, I often forget about B&W too - the photos always look so effective :)

humel said...

Love the idea of the black and white :-) And it's a great photo! Hope your first week back has gone well xx