Friday 5 May 2023

Let's sit and have a cup of coffee

Hello!

Thank you for popping round and making time to have a cup of coffee with me.  Please do have a rock cake to go with it - it's an old family recipe that's all our family enjoy, tell me what you think!



So, we have a big weekend of celebration here in the UK, today is the calm before the storm.  Tomorrow will be the coronation of King Charles and there will be lots going on all over the country.  I shall be watching it at home in the morning and then we have been invited to friends in the afternoon for a celebration meal.  It will be nice to have someone else cooking as on Sunday we have our whole family coming for lunch.  Keep your fingers firmly crossed for me that the weather is nice enough to go out in the garden as four children aged 6, 4, 3 and 18 months need to get outside to run off some energy - not to mention the elderly Coco and puppy Daisy.  Daisy wanting to be Coco's best friend and Coco not having the patience to entertain a young pupster. 

We have no plans for Bank Holiday Monday although I think there is entertainment in the park in town which we may go and visit.

Do you have any family favourite dishes that I could include on Sunday?  Last time we had everyone here I did a big roast dinner and I think I'll take the easy way out this time and do a buffet 'pick and choose' lunch.  Cold meats, cheeses, breads, quiche and salads.  Something for all ages.  For a dessert I think I'm going to do a tried and tested pavlova.  Two layers of meringue sandwiched with Nutella and whipped cream, with cream on top and strawberries and blueberries.  Red, White and Blue.  Very patriotic eh?

By the time we next meet for coffee I may be looking a bit bruised and battered.  I am booked in for surgery on my nose at the end of May - no I'm not having a 'nose job' - I've suffered from nasal polyps for many years now and it's a pretty miserable condition.  I had them removed 20 years ago but they continue to grow back and they are at the point of being very uncomfortable not to mention affecting my breathing and quality of sleep.  I've put off the surgery as long as possible but my consultant said it really is essential to have it done.  Wish me luck!  And no laughing if I look like I've been in a fight!

4 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

A cup of tea would be nice, & I'll try a rock cake for dunking thank you.

That will be nice to go to friends for coronation celebrations & have some one else pamper you with a meal. Lucky that you get a long weekend out of the celebrations. While there are a growing number of celebrations this side of the pond, we don't get a holiday. Having a buffet style dinner on Sunday sounds perfect & I'll send positive energy for good weather.

Oh dear that sounds a painful surgery coming up. You definitely will need some pampering plans afterwards. And speaking of pampering, I got the book you recommended from the library ... The Woman With The Cure, I'll pamper myself with an hour of reading later.

Thanks for tea, must dash, I've got to ice 24 cupcakes for the church tea party on Saturday, I think I'll leave my brownies naked on top - they'll be fudgey enough without :)

Barbara Eads said...

Your rock cake looks like a scone! I'm celebrating the Coronation over here. I wish I was there!!

Ruth said...

A little late with my reading this weekend! Hope you had a fun Coronation Day and that the "nose job" goes smoothly and isn't too painful.

Susanne said...

Oh, I've been through nasal polyp surgery, and luckily my recovery was pretty quite and my bruising was pretty minor, which surprised the surgeon who made the polyp itself sound humongous. So hopefully yours will be a "piece of cake."