Monday 21 February 2011

Back to my youth

When you see this photo:
Do you think:
a)  Who on earth is that?
or
b) awwww ..... I remember him ..... I had that poster .....

Well if you answered 'a' you are obviously much much younger than me and should look away now.
If you answered 'b' then you and I have much in common!  When I was growing up I loved David Cassidy.  Bought Jackie magazine because they always had articles on him and posters to stick on your wall.  DC was a big part of my teenage years. 
I've just finished reading this:
When I read the storyline I knew I had to buy it even though it is pure 'chick lit'.  It's the kind of book you can read in a few sittings but oh how I associated with the characters.  Without giving too much away it starts with a woman in her 40s clearing her mothers house and finding a letter hidden at the back of the wardrobe.  She recognises the self addressed envelope as one she had completed as part of a magazine competition when she was a teenager. 
It then goes back in time to her being that teenager and obsessed with David Cassidy.  Day to day life of a girl growing up in the 70s.  Entering a competition to win the opportunity to meet him.  Going to his final UK concert in White City where a fan died and he then stopped touring. 
So it turns out that she won the competition but her mother hid the letter and she never knew.  In a moment of madness she contacts the magazine to claim her prize after all these years.  
It was a good lighthearted read and I defy anyone out there who grew up in 'love' with DC not to smile as she describes the kind of crazy things a young teenage girl will do just to try and be the perfect girl that her hero will fall in love with! 

15 comments:

Sian said...

I definitely like the sound of that one - I'm in the mood for a bit of chic lit and I will hunt it out.

Last year J. bought me a Jackie compendium for Christmas - it's brilliant, have you seen it?

Cheri said...

I was quite the fan, especially of the tv show "The Partridge Family" but I never did go through that phase of obsessing over or hoping to meet/fall in love/marry a celebrity. I guess even as a young girl I was too pragmatic for those kind of dreams!

debs14 said...

Don't buy it Sian, I will send you this one! Yes I have the jackie annual too!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh yes I was totally and utterly in love with him. I had his picture inside my locker at school and one of my bedroom walls was completely plastered with pictures of him - which my brother drew mustaches on just to spite me but I even thought he suited a mustache.

Sian said...

Deb - Thank you :) It sounds like just the kind of reading I'm looking for at the minute.

scrappyjacky said...

I was never really into David Cassidy....but the pic certainly brings back memories!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

I was on the young side for David Cassidy, but definitely had a crush on his younger brother - Sean. Over here, the magazine was called "Tiger Beat," not Jackie.
Rinda

Scrappi Sandi said...

OMG Deb! I had that poster on my wall AND on a T-Shirt!! Do you remember when Jackie did the 'four part' poster & you had to wait for the last part to get his face?!! I used to play his LP's (!!)non stop & I still have them somewhere!! I still know all the lyrics too!!

This book sounds like a must read...I'll be tracking it down for sure!...Oh, & that Jackie compendium Sian mentioned is like a real trip back in time...brilliant!!

Thanks for the bit of nostalgia....I shall be humming 'Cherish' & 'The puppy song' all evening!! ♥

humel said...

Sorry Deb, but I didn't recognise him! I did read Jackie for a while though - I think I even had a letter published in it once....

I remember reading about that book in a magazine review and making a mental note to look out for it at the library. And then forgetting. Further mental note made!!

PS Love your recent creativity, culinary and seamstressy and photography-wise xx

Beverly said...

Oh yes, I know David! I think he is going to be on this season's Apprentice but I don't watch the show. I saw him recently on Oprah when she had all the people she's had a crush on. Thanks for the lead on the book, I dare say I would have never stumbled upon it.

Unknown said...

I was a little younger, and more into Shawn Cassidy, but I do remember DC in The Partridge Family... I may have to see if this library has this book... I would like to read it! Thanks for sharing!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hm...or how about "C" - He's SO hott!!!

~sigh~ I loved David Cassidy. And Donny Osmond...

Lou said...

popped across from Sian's blog and this post made me smile!! i remember Jackie well and the four part poster scrappi-sandie mentioned!!

Jimjams said...

Yup DC was SO much better looking than DO but my teenage heartthrob was from Alias Smith & Jones ... not the blonde one ... Pete Duel was my fave!

Sandra said...

oh yup, I remember him :) ... I must buy the book, it sounds like a fun read.