Wednesday 16 February 2011

Imperfection - Take One

"I cling to my imperfection, as the very essence of my being. ~ "
Anatole France

I realised that there was no point in signing up for the Embracing Imperfection class if I didn't grab hold of a bit of imperfection, fling it on a piece of card and try to embrace it - so here is my take on the first week's handout!

This was a photo that was taken on Boxing Day and it's rare to get my sister, daughter and myself in a photo together.  But the lighting was not brilliant and we're not all looking ... well ... perfect but it's a memorable occasion and I wanted to use it on a page.  One thing I struggle with on pages is journalling.  I'm not proud of my handwriting and I feel that it doesn't enhance my pages!  My dad had the most beautiful handwriting and always wrote with a proper fountain pen, he could do beautiful copperplate lettering, but sadly, that is not a trait I inherited!  I've yet to find a pen that I feel totally comfortable with I guess.  But one thing that rang true in the handout was that when I look back on odd scraps of writing from my parents, a note on the front cover of a bookplate or a scribble of a recipe in one of my mum's cookery books, I feel such a surge of love that it doesn't matter how beautiful or scruffy it is.  Just seeing it is a memory of a time when they were here to write things down.  So, as these scrapbooks are likely to become memory keepers of their own, I guess it is only fair to write the occasional handwritten comment myself.  {even if it is so scruffy that no one can decipher it!}  I've restricted my self to facts on this page - but who knows as the course progresses ............

I'm not totally comfortable with using white cardstock as a background but I wanted to keep it kind of simple so I decided to dust down the sewing machine and sew a few lines of stitching to make a border.  And just to help me with the imperfect theme ... the thread tangled and broke about 6" from the end of the 2nd row of stitching.  Thank you sewing machine, much appreciated!  I had a good sort out of coloured flowers that I have and managed to find a flower in every colour that is in our clothing which was a bit of luck and hopefully they will help bring out the colours in the picture against the starkness of the white. 

11 comments:

Sian said...

For handwriting I would say - use it! definitely. I only have one little sample of my Dad's writing and that's it. I would like more.

I loved karen's notes, but I have been really surprised by how many would-be scrappers are stopping themselves from doing something they enjoy through a fear of imperfection. The boards have been a bit of an eye opener!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ah, I'm so glad you chose to use your own handwriting, and I'm happy to read that you used it because you know the sentimental value of those who will see your handwriting and remember you fondly. I feel the same about my own handwriting, so I completely understand.

I love your layout, Deb. And remember, there's no personality in perfection! xo

Cheri said...

It's a beautiful layout Deb - I love the softness of it!

Denise said...

I love your layout just you saying about reading your Dad's writing rings so true,this class really makes you think that this is what it's all about really- when others see our pages,it doesn't matter to them if it's not 'perfect'- if there is such a thing! xx

scrappyjacky said...

I loved Karen's handout as well...and have in mind something to finish off that has very imperfect photos!!
I never used to write on layouts cause I hate my handwriting....but now I almost always do as I think it will mean more to my kids than something computer generated!I love looking at my mum's handwritten bits.

Anonymous said...

Love that you used your own handwriting on this page. That cluster of flowers is just perfect.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Very elegant embellishments on this page - I know what you mean about white cardstock.
I journal almost exclusively in my own handwriting.
Rinda

alexa said...

I also struggle with my own handwriting - but appreciate the value that handwriting has on a LO. You are inspiring me to think about this again! As I don't have any concept of perfection (and therefore, don't have any of imperfection either), your page looks lovely to me. Being a lover of white cardstock, I think it is just fine and dandy the way it is!

Amy said...

I rarely use my handwriting and I appreciate your angst - but, this is a beautiful page, it has come together very well and it looks stunning!

Scrappi Sandi said...

Well...I think that's a gorgeous LO...for all it's percieved imperfections!! That's a lovely cluster of flowers & Yay to using 'imperfect' photo's!! Great memory documenting! As for handwriting, it's taken me years to be happy with my own on a LO & it's not even that bad!! Go for it! It's part of you for future generations to see!!

Anonymous said...

It looks great. Good for you using your handwriting on it. Wish I had done more of that but now with the off & on acting up of arthritis I don't know if I dare.