Sunday 6 February 2011

Storytelling Sunday

When I was at primary school my best friend was a girl called Nicky.  We were in the same class at school and although we were very different, we got on really well together.  Nicky's parents were (in my eyes) quite glamorous.  Her mum owned a small hairdressing salon and her dad was a professional footballer.  He played for a team called Cristal Palace, not that it meant anything to me at the time, it just sounded so wonderful.  They were the very first people I ever knew who had a remote controller to their TV.  Not like we know them to be now, it was connected by a cable but hey - you didn't have to get up to change channel - how high tech was that in the late 60s?  Funny how silly things stick in your mind.
Nicky was allowed to wear really fashionable clothes .  Her mum once crocheted her a turquoise mini dress - I was so in awe of that.  And she had lovely long hair, almost down to her waist.  Not only that but she was allowed to have her ears pierced when she was only about 9.  I was so jealous.  I really wanted pierced ears but my mum was very against it and I had to wait until I was 16 to have it done. 
Anyway, Nicky's older cousin decided he wanted to learn guitar and he went on to form a band and started doing gigs.  I told you she moved in glamorous circles didn't I?  I remember so clearly walking down the road with her, Nicky in her crocheted mini dress and golden earrings, me probably in sensible Clarks sandals and my red hair in pigtails and she was chatting about her cousin Rick.  He'd made a record, if I wanted to buy it, she would give it to him to get him to autograph it and then if he got famous it would be a collectors item.  As if I was going to waste what little pocket money I got on some single from a band I'd never heard of.  The band didn't even have a decent name.  I mean - who's going to be interested in anyone called 'Status Quo'.
If only I had known ......

18 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great story! I remember my first "glamorous" friend. Her parents were divorced, and her mother was a cocktail waitress. I think it was a much sadder tale than I realized at the time . . .
Rinda

Sian said...

I love this story!! It's got so many lovely little details (yes, that would have been me in the Clarks shoes too) - and then a fabulous punchline. Perfect.

Thanks for joining Storytelling Sunday Deb.

Denise said...

Well- I never knew that! Don't tell Pete !x

scrappyjacky said...

Great story,Deb.....I'd have been the one in Clarks as well...still am actually!!
Bet you're really kicking yourself about that record though.

JO SOWERBY said...

how fabulous. shame u never got the record, although status quo..not my thing either. i have a record autographed by daniel day lewis which i have always looked at when he gets oscar nominated and thought yep u made a gr8 choice asking him for that
Jo xxx

Jimjams said...

LOL what a great punchline!
We had a remote control for our TV - my brother! He would be told to get up and turn the dial (!) to tune it to one of the other two channels!

humel said...

Wow - I wasn't expecting that finish!

I'd so love a crocheted turquoise minidress....

Cheri said...

the details are awesome! I was allowed to get my ears pierced at 10. I let my girls do it when they were going into kindergarten!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o) Love this story, Deb. You make me smile...

I think each of us has a glamorous friend from the past. I know I wasn't the glamorous one to anybody. LOL

Ruth said...

Brilliant!!
I think most of us had a 'glamorous' friend ~ mine is now divorced twice and somehow not-so-glamorous.

Ann said...

Lovely story. I couldn't get my ears pierced until I had left home. Your story makes me wonder where your friend is now?

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this story Deb. I had to wait until I left home for college before I got my ears pierced and then I had them down twice and my hair died purple - quite a shock for my parents when I went home after the first term away!

Melissa said...

Great story! It's so fun to remember our friends and all the little details.

Cheryl said...

wow what a story if we knew then what we know now lol x

Ginger said...

Great surprise ending!

Anonymous said...

Great story - love the surprise ending.

Cate Brickell said...

what a great story!

we didn't have a remote control for the tv (that was my brother's job), but we did have one attached to the vcr by a big cord!

Miriam said...

Brilliant story! I was another one in the Clarks shoes! x