Monday 2 January 2012

Empty nest syndrome

That could refer to me having both children grown up now but it actually refers to the tiniest bird nest I have ever seen that has suddenly been revealed in the tree in our front garden.
It's been hidden behind the last few leaves but this morning when I pulled up the blinds, I could see this little nest, no more than a few inches tall right in the top branch.  It must either have been built and used by a tiny bird like a wren or something or a bird started to build it and changed it's mind.  Maybe when it was half built, it's partner came along to see how it was getting on and said 'That won't be big enough - good grief, go and find somewhere better for us to bring up our family.'  The tree is covered in little white berries which are disappearing daily as the local birds come and stock up for Winter, won't belong until every branch is bare and that poor little nest is the only thing left on it.

In addition to the two classes I've signed up for this year, I've also joined in the 365+1 challenge over at 365 photos that Sian (From High in the Sky) mentioned a little while back.  It's only day two but I am already still up to date {ask me again on day 366}.  I'm not going to post my pictures on a daily basis but will make a little collection of them once a week, maybe on a Friday.  I like the idea of being given a word and having to think of something to photograph to go with it.  

So the first week of 2012 is not going as well as I would have hoped:  Not only do I have a sore throat and ominous pain in one ear, but I am back to work on Thursday and I have to work from 8.30am - 10pm as it is Senior Presentation Evening and not only that but on Friday I have to have a half hour dentist appointment to make a proper repair to the tooth I broke just before Christmas.  So if you are listening, 2012, please try a little bit harder to bring me good things, you're not doing awfully well at the moment! 

7 comments:

Sian said...

I hope that ear pain doesn't come to anything and you are fit for the end of the week. My two are complaining about having to go back in Thurs and Fri evenings for Open Nights (but I'm smiling a bit because TTO is on work experience too those days. That'll show him what the real world is like!)

I'm up to date too with my two photos. Having a prompt word really helps

Anonymous said...

Oh no - you MUST get better for the weekend! Hope your week goes well and look forward to seeing you on Saturday xxx

Cheri said...

Take extra vitamin c and try to rest today if you can. Hopefully the ominous ear pain will disappear. I had ominous rib pain yesterday, but it is gone this morning! :) Amazing what a day in front of the t.v. will do for you!

Beverly said...

Hoping you feel much better immediately, feeling under the weather doesn't sound like a fun mix with the long day. Maybe some collard greens and black eyed peas should have been shipped overseas ;) May this week be no indicator of 2012 for you.

Sandie said...

That's not a good start to the New Year. Hope things pick up soon!

Maria Ontiveros said...

My kids start back tomorrow! I am not going to do Project 365 but will be interested to see how yours goes along.
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, poor you, Debs. I hope you are making it through your week with flying colors.

The photo of the birds nest is a good one. Funny to see a nest so small. We have lots of hummingbirds around here and I don't think I've ever actually seen one of their nests, though I can only imagine them to be very tiny.