Tuesday 31 January 2012

Just one sketch # 5

Oh dear, we were really taken out of our comfort zone for the next prompt on Just One Sketch.  Doing everything we wouldn't normally do.  So I used a photo I wouldn't normally use (I'm more a people kind of girl rather than a 'flora and fauna' type) and used colours I wouldn't normally pick.  So I chose orange.  Not only orange, but orange and yellow. 
It was a good experiment, and I quite like the finished result, but it hasn't convinced me that I need to go out and stock up on orange papers!  
We have had an awful couple of days at work and our school has ended up on national TV for all the wrong reasons.  One of our Year 10 girls was killed whilst crossing a railway track at the weekend and it has really hit the whole school community.  Such a lovely girl, full of potential and with her life ahead of her.  Not the type of girl to go out and get into trouble or be messing about and getting into trouble.  Just a girl who chanced her luck to cross a line she crossed on a daily basis even though the red lights were showing and the gate was closed.   So for those of you with teenage or younger children, take them to one side, give them a big hug and tell them that Aunty Debs says for them to be super careful crossing roads or tracks and that red lights mean 'stop' and they are there for a good reason.  If you could see the notes that the girls are hanging from the tree of remembrance in our courtyard, your heart would break.   

10 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oh Deb, what a heart breaking story. It's so hard to raise kids - they seem to lack common sense and don't realize how deadly the consequences can be. My son rolls his eyes at me everytime he goes out, and I remind him "no drinking and driving," "wear you seat belt," etc. But I feel like it's one of the few things I can do to keep him safe.
Hugs to you,
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

That is just so sad,Deb...and shows even the most sensible children can do such foolish things...DD1 has always been really sensible and was the last person I expected to do something foolish....but she was hit by a car crossing a road when she shouldn't have....but thankfully only sustained minor injuries.

Sian said...

That's just so sad. TTO and I were just talking about a notorious accident a few years back here - a carful of teenagers from school were all killed in a road accident. It's on my mind at the minute with those driving lessons looming..

Cheri said...

That is so heartbreaking. My kids hate it when I push them to wear seat belts when I'm only driving them 3 minutes to school. But honestly... with the student drivers coming in and out of that lot... I'm surprised we haven't had a lot more incidents.

Anonymous said...

What a tragic way to loose a pupil. You take care Deb and I do so like your page xxx

Amy said...

Oh Deb, what a dreadful thing for your community to have to go through. It is so easy at that age to make an innapropriate snapshot decision - my little one does not like holding my hand in carparks, but at this stage I have her in a vice like grip because she is a runner and would just trot/skip off in oblivion .. at least I can do that now!

Sandie said...

That's so sad, Deb. Can't imagine what it must be like to be her parents.

Laurie said...

So sorry you are having a sad time.
You are doing so well keeping up with JOS...and all your pages are lovely.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh that is so tragic, Debs. I'm so sorry to hear that. I know too well how something like that affects a school and the entire community for that matter.

My nephew's close friend (a teenager) was messing around on a railroad track a couple of years ago - they were tempting fate and he didn't move fast enough and was killed by the oncoming train. SOOOOO sad for his family and all who loved him.

Sending big hugs your way!!! xoxo

Alison said...

How sad Deb...I saw the incident on the News. I know how hard these things hit a school and a community. Isn't it funny though, how these incidents suddenly become so 'real' when someone you know is involved..it really does make you re-evaluate your life and recognise how important those you hold dear REALLY are
Alison xx