Sunday 1 January 2012

Storytelling Sunday A Fishy Tale

This will have been the first year for ages that we haven't done anything on New Year's Eve.  We used to celebrate lots when we were first married, then the children came along and it was an effort to stay awake up until midnight let alone go out partying.  But then when they were school age we made a group of friends who became our close social circle.  First the mums befriended each other in the school playground while waiting to pick up the children at the end of the day, then our children became friends, then we introduced the husbands to one another and we just all gelled.  We hosted Murder Mystery parties, summer barbecues, went away on holiday together and always, always celebrated New Year, taking it in turns to be the venue.  Adults downstairs, kids running amok and playing together upstairs, no babysitters required!  Then one year we decided to ring the changes and ask grandparents to have the children to stay overnight and we went to a hotel for a New Year Dinner and staying there until the next day.
It had gone well past midnight, we were all slightly merry, not to mention tired and we moved from disco floor to the hotel reception to chat.  Somehow or the other the conversation turned to bodily scars.  I know, weird!  My husband's scarred knee from where he had got gravel in it in a childhood bike related incident started the ball rolling.  I countered that with a not very neatly sewn appendix scar (don't worry, I didn't reveal it to all, they had to use their imagination), someone else had a shoulder scar following an op to fix a dislocated shoulder and so on and so on.  Some random guy walked past and happened to pick up on the conversation and asked if he could join in.  Of course - sit down, show us what you have to share.  At which point he lifted up the leg of his trousers, detached a prosthetic part of his calf and showed us where he had been bitten by a shark whilst scuba diving.  

That lumpy bumpy knee and unattractive appendix didn't seem so ugly after all! What's the weirdest conversation you have overheard? 

22 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Definately a conversation stopper!!!
Happy New Year to you.

Jane said...

can't compete with that!! Happy New Year xx

Becky said...

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing - made me laugh!

Scattychick said...

Fairly random really removing your prosthetic in front of a bunch of strangers lol He must have been celebrating hard!

K said...

Oh my word! dont think may would be able to beat that one!!!

beccaf1970 said...

Wow! It would be hard to top a scar like that! Happy New Year!

Alana said...

Wow, that's a bit of a conversation stopper. Can't beat a shark bite. Great story.....btw I have two scars. One only head from a childhood dare and a carpet cutting incident on my leg.

Sian said...

Oh,wow! I love that completely unexpected ending - you have a real talenet for storing away entertaining bits and pieces and bringing them out at the right moment!

Happy New Year Deb. I hope 2012 brings you both a bit of a breather from worries and a whole lot of laughs. Thanks for joining in again this year.

Irene said...

Gosh! You show me yours and I will show you mine take on a whole new meaning! I love that some random guy decided to join in. What a great story.
Happy New Year!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for the belly laugh today - I can just imagine the scene! What a well told story today.
Rinda

Missus Wookie said...

Definitely one upmanship involved there! Happy New Year - hope you had a good night :)

Ladkyis said...

AH, the game of scars. I remember several rounds of that game. I could never win though because my late and much missed, honorary cousin was olympic standard. He had spina bifida so he always won - even when he wasn't with us!

Unknown said...

I love random conversations with strangers, doesn't seem to happen as much as when I was a student...must be something to do with the alcohol intake!

Happy New Year!

furrypig said...

wow fab coincidence that he walked by just as you had that conversation! Happy new year xxx

Susanne said...

Well he certainly one-upped you all, didn't he!

Sandra said...

Would have been great to see all your faces after that lol

Beverly said...

oh....my....goodness, lol I wonder if he would have stopped if it had only had a small scar! I am thinking everyone must have been in very high spirits especially him :)

Ginger said...

Wow! How do you beat that?! I love your storytelling Deb! Always so much excitement and adventure :)

Happy New Year!

Cheri said...

I have one of those gravel under the knee scars from falling off a bike. I've added many others since then! But none as interesting as a shark attack.

Gail said...

Definitely one not to be beat. Thanks for the smile on a cold morning. Happy New Year.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

One of the things I love about you is your ability to entertain, Deb! I rarely read a blog post of yours without smiling or chuckling and this story is no exception. I was smiling at the idea of a conversation about body scars and then you hit us with the shark bit. HAHAHA. This is awesome. ;o)

Alison said...

I can just imagine all your faces! Great story Deb...have just had a quick catch-up and hope the throat is better!
Alison xx