Saturday 4 August 2012

Scavenging in Portugal

I knew that there were some great opportunities to fill in some of my scavenger hunt gaps while we were on holiday but when I got over there, I thought it may be fun to see how many of the ones I had already found in Britain could also be found in the Algarve and do a duplicate set.  So when Rinda suggested doing a mid-way link up, it seemed an excellent opportunity to show you my Portuguese version.  I didn’t get them all over there – partly because I stupidly forgot to take the list with me, and had only remembered the ones I still had missing!
So without further ado – drum roll please – Scavenger Hunt – Portuguese Style.
A 22 heart shaped stone
Whilst on a walk one morning I happened to look down and see a heart shaped stone – which will come in nicely in case I need to substitute it for one category I can’t find!
 A 1 pier 
Now, I’m not sure if this qualifies as a pier but it’s the closest thing I’ve found so far!  I checked the definition of pier and it says - A platform used as a landing stage for boats, so I think I'm safe.
This is definitely a clothesline though!
A 2  A clothesline
And this is the mosaic border that ran along the edge of the swimming pool
 A 3 a border
Nice colourful sarongs for sale by the roadside on the way to the beach
A 4 roadside stall
The train network isn’t too high-tech out in this part of Portugal.  This is the end of the line.  Literally!
A 5 train
This historical landmark has some unpleasant associations unfortunately.  This is the old Slave Market.  Back in the 1440s the first ships went across to Africa from the port of Lagos, bringing back commodities to be sold at market.  Things such as gold, chilli pepper, birds, ivory and sadly, African people to be sold as slaves.
A 6 historic landmark
Walking around the streets of Lagos, it’s not difficult to come across buskers playing musical instruments which adds a great atmosphere – these guys were pretty talented!
A 7 person musical
A fountain! 
A 9 fountain
I came across this statue of a horse on the outskirts of the town we were staying in, and then when we went into Lagos for the day, I also found a horse on a carousel – can’t decide which one I prefer!
 A 10 a horse A 10 a horse 2
Shadows from the pots on the terrace at my sister’s house
A 11 Shadow
A trail leading up to the obelisk at Praia da Luz.  This was taken with a zoom lens from the terrace of the house.  I’m not sure what the obelisk was built for, and I have only ever trekked up there once as it’s a pretty steep climb, especially in the heat! 
 A 12 a trail
After dinner one evening, we walked along the promenade beside the beach and came across these two girls (and their dog) playing on the beach with a ball.
A 14 Person playing ball
Now this next one is stretching the boundaries a little.  While we were away, the Olympic games started in London and we watched the opening ceremony on the tv,  this is my take on a picture of someone dancing!
 A 15 person dancing
The church in Praia da Luz is really distinctive and the inside of it is really ornate.  I think it originally dates back to the early 1500s, but has been damaged in earthquakes and storms over the centuries.
 A 17 Church
The Algarve is full to bursting with outdoor stairways but the one I have chosen is the stairway that leads from a balcony at the house up to the roof terrace with a typical Portuguese chimney at the top.
A 19 outdoor stairway
This next one almost got me into trouble.  I looked across the terrace one day and noticed that in one of the other town houses, they had a hammock!  Whilst it isn’t hanging from a tree, it is hanging from a beam of wood and wood comes from trees so that counts, doesn’t it?  Anyhow, I had to sneak up a flight of steps and peer over the terrace wall in the hope that there was no one sunbathing up there!  Which is why the photo isn’t well composed, and has edges of barbecues, rubber rings and drying washing in it too.  I had visions of a window opening and someone asking why I was photographing their terrace!
A 20 hammock
And the last one that I got was a picture of me standing with something that symbolizes my nation.  Afternoon tea with scones, jam and clotted cream – what could be more British?
A 21 me with something british
So now I have to make some decisions, as some of these are duplicates of those I’ve found in Britain but I am positive that a fair few of these will make it into my final 21.  I still have one to find.  A bride. As my friend's daughter gets married on 23 August I'm quietly confident that I should be able to wait outside the church for when she arrives and get the last photo.   I really, really enjoy this project and love that Rinda has got so many people interested from all over the world.  And it’s great to see how different nations provide such diverse takes on the same category. Can't wait to browse around and see how everyone else is doing!  Why not pop over to Rinda's link up and join in the hunt!

26 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Some great holiday catches,Deb....I'm hoping to get a few on holiday as well. Love the carousel horse.

Amy said...

How fantastic, photos from two countries! The photos of the church and the outdoor stairway are so very lovely - well done Deb, it's a lot of fun isn't it?!

Denise said...

wow- I am very impressed-fab photos and all in a lovely sunny environment :-)

Missus Wookie said...

How fun to have shots from both places - the wedding I'm going to is in November :sigh:

Love the hammock though - a snapshot of real life. Didn't think of the Olympic ceremony for the dancing - very clever :)

helena said...

love the fountain - great idea to do the holiday version, they really are different from UK - and not jsut because there is sunshine

Mary B said...

You have got some super finds there and I love the heart shaped stone

Sian said...

I loved the photos of Lagos - is the merry go round still there? we had fun on it a few years ago.

The end of the line - that's a clever one!

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful mosaic border around the swimming pool.

Beverly said...

The pool mosaic is gorgeous but my favs are the stairs and the hammock!

Alison said...

Love the thought of you sneaking about to get the pic of the hammock!! Great selection of photos
Alison xx

Gem's Crafts said...

Some really great photos for the Scavenger hunt - it looks like you've been having fun with it!

Abi said...

Lovely photos Debs. That last one was a great find! i laughed when I imagined you peering over the balcony to get a picture of the hammock!

Kirsti said...

Love the photos...would love to be somewhere hot and sunny with a cocktail now...xx

Maria Ontiveros said...

These are all so wonderful! I especially love the heart, the staircase and sarong shop (so different). They all capture the atmosphere perfectly.
Thanks for playing along.
Rinda

Melissa said...

Wow, you did a great job finding items for the hunt on your vacation! I especially like the shadow, the pier, and the swimming pool border, but the story of the hammock still has me smiling thinking of you peering over the wall for a photo!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Great collection of photos!

furrypig said...

ooh you scavenged well in Portugal! Like your take on the national symbol, tea and scones yummy and very English!

alexa said...

Fantastic collection! I love your horses ones ...

Sandie said...

Haven't you done well!! I love the border around the swimming pool, and your story of how you took the photo of the hammock! I had a similar experience when I left a book in a garden centre recently, I left sharpish because I half expected someone to ask what I was up to!
Good luck with your bride photo but I don't think you need it.

The Mann Fam said...

Very clever to use the pool tile as your border picture.

ForgedinPaper said...

Great photos and I was giggling at you sneaking around to get the hammock shot.

boysmum2 said...

Awesome pictures, love what you are prepared to do to get a picture, so brave! I also love the horses.

Yoli said...

What a lovely way to collect your photos for this scavenger hunt. Awesome!

Cheri said...

Those are some lovely photos Deb, but my favorite is your whimsical take on the "horse" prompt!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Wow, Deb, this is quite a collection. I loved looking at your photos and the beautiful scenery in them. My favorite is the heart shaped rock. :o)

Barbara said...

Some great photos from Portugal I also like the one of you with a cream tea. You have done well with your collection. I still have 7 to go but haven't being out much due to the Olympics.