Thursday 9 August 2012

Teacher's Pets

Can't believe my boy's been back from Africa for a week now.  Not only that, but he's been back a week and I've not done a layout about it!  Well, let's put that right now ...
{Kimandolu is the name of the Lutheran school he taught in}

This also uses up one of my 28 Days of Sketches too - this is number 12.  I like the fact that you can use 3 smaller photos to tell a bit more of a story.  He was a volunteer teacher in a primary school teaching ages 5 - 9 and had a great time.  He gets on very well with little children and I knew that he would enjoy that part of his trip.  The children in Tanzania are taught in English from day one, and so that wasn't a problem for him.  But what they didn't know was that he actually speaks Swahili too.  So he didn't speak in their language until they tried playing up and then took them totally by surprise when he told them to 'sit down, calm down and behave' in Swahili.  It worked a treat!   
My plan for today is to do another one of the 28 Days of Sketches using photos that I took when the Olympic torch came through our town.  It's so good to have the long summer holidays when you have a lot of scrapbooking to catch up on!

11 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Having those 3 small photos works brilliantly,Deb....I must try that.
I bet there aren't many English people who speak Swahili!!

Sian said...

Don't you just love a man who is good with small children? Aww..

Melissa said...

You're doing a great job with the 28 Sketches! How fun that he speaks Swahili - I have friends in Kenya who are learning it, quite an accomplishment.

Elizabeth said...

Well, you've only had him back a week! That's hardly enough time to pump him for all the exciting things he's done in Africa. After he tells all, you'll probably have enough photos and tales to do an album--or a mini album.

Robyn said...

awwww!!! love that! GREAT photos! :)

Alison said...

I like the three smaller pics Deb..a great start to the African LOs!
Alison xx

Unknown said...

Super cool! Love the layout and love the story about him breaking out his Swahili when they lease expected it. Glad he had a good time...I would love to travel to Africa one day!

Unknown said...

Oops...when they leasT* expected it. ;)

Amy said...

Ohh, I bet they were shocked and very impressed with his fluency in the language.

Anonymous said...

Love the photo with Jon surrounded by children. When you talk about scrapping during the day it made me miss the holidays for the first time.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Fantastic colors and structure. Love it!
Rinda