Monday 8 July 2013

Fantastic floristry

It was the EK crop on Saturday and I was SO looking forward to a day of cupcakes crafting.  It was a smaller group than normal which meant that there were TWO cupcakes each - yay!  Salted caramel with fudge cubes on top.  Yum. Yum. Yum.
Karen had designed a beautiful layout with a variety of hand made flowers as an embellishment.  Karen has a rule regarding layouts, if you can hold the page in one hand and it still lays flat and doesn't bow down at the edges, it doesn't have enough embellishment on it!  But when I opened my pack and saw the raw ingredients for about 40 flowers - my little heart sank, until Karen told us that she had run off as many cut outs as she could get out of the paper and they wouldn't all be needed! 
I must just draw your attention to the larger flowers with the fancy middle.  How gorgeous are they?  So lovely! All achieved with a bit of clever folding.  I almost had to have another cupcake to boost my sugar levels when I saw the one that looked like a rosebud that you fold around in a spiral.  We had done these in a previous class in vellum and things did not go according to plan!  However, either I have grown more dexterous in my old age or it's easier to do with paper, because they rolled and bloomed and stuck brilliantly.  It's so lovely to see a flat piece of paper transform into something so pretty. 
Another truly successful part of the day was Karen, Denise and I all managing to tick off another scavenger hunt photo.  Something or someone out of place.
There's a children's playground outside the hall we use for the crop so we pushed all the toddlers off the play equipment (not really) and raced to the smallest slide we could find.  So - three scrapbookers going down a slide, I think we fit that category (even if we didn't fit the slide!)
 

11 comments:

Sian said...

I've been spotting a few flower laden pages round the blogs lately..with great pleasure. I'm glad to see them blooming!

salted caramel flavour? Yum

Alison said...

Loving the flowers..and that picture is priceless!
Alison xx

Lou said...

Brilliant photo and all those flowers look bloomin marvellous x

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the class Deb and I love your take on it. I have to say I still have the bruises from trying to wedge my not so child size bottom onto that slide!

Abi said...

Those flowers are amazing. The roses are just gorgeous. What fun you have at your crop!

Beverly said...

Very impressed with your flower making skills! Adorable pic :)

scrappyjacky said...

Those flowers look stunning.

Miriam said...

I think there is something magical about folding a piece of paper into a flower, that page is fabulous, as is your Scavenger Hunt picture...

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love salted caramel anything!
And what fun to meet blog friends.
Rinda

alexa said...

Scrap friends, cupcakes and salted caramel all in one go? Heaven! No wonder you all look so happy in that playground :). The cluster of flowers is very pretty ...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Sounds like a fabulous day! Cupcakes, flowers, and friends on a slide. Haha. You girls are just too cute! xo