Wednesday 2 July 2014

Scavenger hunt round up #1

The first month of the Scavenger Hunt organised by Rinda is finished.  Are you joining in?  It's such a fun little project to do.  I've actually ticked quite a few off but there are a few that I know I can better photos for so this is not my final choice.  But you know how you see something and think 'I'd better snap that, I may not get a better opportunity to tick that off the list'!
I managed to get quite a few on our recent trip to Edinburgh and I love that when I look back on these photos, it won't be just the Scavenger Hunt I think of but a happy time with friends with the added bonus of meeting up with our son!
Now I'm not totally happy with the parade!  The Gumball 3000 rally was arriving in Edinburgh while we were there and the cars were all parading through the streets in preparation for the next leg of their journey.  I am keeping my eyes out for a better interpretation of this one!




My daughter has her initial tattooed on the inside of her right wrist.  We joke about it looking as if she doesn't know her left from her right and has to have an R for right tattoed on!  I love my juggler - he is an Australian teacher who is working with our school for a few months.  His previous job was in a circus so he was a natural with the juggling balls!
Now, I'm not happy with the first one here.  It's a sign set into the paving outside the Scottish Parliament building, Holyrood House.  And although it's not in plain English, I think it may be considered to be written in the Scottish dialiect rather than language.  What do you think?  Also my group of tourists is us with our friends while we were looking round the tourist spots in Edinburgh. We were hundreds of miles from home, surely that makes us tourists? Again, I think I will be looking to replace this one!
Now, the first one here annoys me so much I didn't really want to include it!  I had real trouble finding any sign that showed you that you were entering our town and when I did, it wasn't exactly exciting.  But more to the point (and please bear in mind that I work in a school.  My boss is an ex-English teacher.  They are red hot on spelling and punctuation in any letters or communication we send out to parents) the council have missed out our apostrophe!  What?!  I felt like taking a black paintbrush and putting in the missing punctuation between the p and the s.

So I feel like I am making good progress in the hunt, although I am confident that as the weeks go on, I will find better photos for some of them but this is the state of play at the end of the first month.  How are you getting on?  Which ones do you think you will struggle with?   

15 comments:

Amy said...

You have The Juggler ... what else is there to say?! Hey, I wonder if he worked at Circus Oz at all - we saw them on the weekend.

Sian said...

Holyrood is one place in Edinburgh I still have to see - I'd love a trip round there.

Abi said...

I second Amy. The juggler is the tricky one and you have such a fab photo! Good finds Deb!

Anonymous said...

good for you getting the juggler!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

These are all great photos, Deb! I like your take on the tourists too! I think the parade will be my most difficult to find, but you just never know when I might happen upon one. I'm going to be seeing my brother this weekend and he knows how to juggle. I just need to remember to have him pose for a photo...I might be too busy holding my baby niece to remember! :o)

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the story behind the juggler! It's what the scavenger hunt is all about to me, and I love your bakery photograph. You have found so many of them! I know I will struggle with the sunset (unless I get my arse out of bed early and drive somewhere on a rare, clear morning).
Rinda

Jane said...

I'm like that about apostrophes !!

Barbara said...

You have done really well to get so many of the items on the list, I like your daughter's tattoo and the story - I cannot tell my left from right! That is the one I will struggle with as I don't know anyone with a tattoo it may have to be one from a distance.

Denise said...

Looking good so far Deb, I'm also very impressed you have a juggler - lovely that you got to spend time with your lovely friends and got to see. J too xxx

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

You're doing a great job. I think the juggler will be the tricky one for most people, although I haven't seen a sunrise since the Hunt started!

alexa said...

You are streets ahead! I think I have about three :(. You have done really well to capture so many - great job on the bakery - my mouth is watering ...

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

These are great! I love the Scottish one!

I'm thinking the parade & the photo bomb will be the hardest for me. July 4th was the last real chance I had for a parade this summer and there weren't any where I am. I might have to 'stage' something for it. Dinos probably. :)

Ruth said...

A juggler and birds on a wire, two of the more tricky ones to find ~ well done. A great set, all round.

Beverly said...

Excellent and you even have what I consider to be the harder ones! I am moving along pretty well but like you take some as backups. I had pics of 5 different lamp posts before I got the one I wanted for the hunt :)

Alison said...

You're doing really well Deb...I have NO idea where I'm likely to come across a juggler!!
Alison xx