Thursday 22 April 2010

Thought for the day

For those who don't know, I work as a school secretary/exams assistant in a girls high school. My kids are grown up now (aged 20 and 23) and I often feel that I have seen and heard most things while they were school age but sometimes I overhear a conversation that makes me smile with the logic that can only come from a teenager.
Year 9 is , I feel, the hardest year for a girl. You're 13 going on 14, too old to be considered a child but too immature to be a young woman. You're at that age where you want to push boundaries, if only to find out what happens when you do. You're trying to keep up with your peers even if some of the things you hear and see are confusing. Some of you will be trying to find something smart to say in any given situation just as a small act of rebellion.
Today we had a fire drill and I left the building behind a group of Year 9 who were leaving the science block. Protocol dictates that we all evacuate the buildings in silence, but there were a couple of girls laughing and chattering. 'Girls! Silence! Stop talking immediately' came the orders from the science teacher. As I walked past them I overheard one say to the other 'Yeah, right. 'Cos it's only people who are talking that get burnt in a fire.' Great logic eh?

8 comments:

Rachel Brett said...

They do make you laugh don't they? I teach 16-19 year old girls and they can come out with some crackers too!

humel said...

lol! Well, I can sort of see her point!

(But actually, I can also see the point of the silence! Especially when you're teaching teenage girls...)

Amy said...

Can't argue with that!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oh my - my 11 (12 next month) year old already fits that bill!
Rinda

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Haha. Yeah. Don't you hate when their "smart" remarks are so logical that you can't argue? Cute story! :o)

Sian said...

That is an absolute classic! Very funny. I must say you sound like a very understanding kind of school secretary..

Scrappi Sandi said...

Love it...& may I add that it's not just girls..my 13 year old son comes out with some wonderful observations that I just can't argue with!!

Jools said...

LOL, I can so relate to this as the mother of a just 14 this week girl.

In our home you will often hear "oh, sorry, I forgot - you're the teenager who knows EVERYTHING!" :D