Tuesday 13 April 2010

Geography lesson


When we took my son back to uni at the weekend I realised that even though we have been doing that journey since 2004 (his elder sister went to uni in Sheffield too!) I have never taken a photo of the place! It's not the most attractive city in the country and with it having 2 universities in the area, a vast majority of the housing is student accommodation ... say no more!
But the landscape around there and the views as you drive through the Yorkshire countryside are lovely.
The only thing I knew about Sheffield before we started going up there 3 times a year for drop off/pick ups was that it was where the movie 'The Full Monty' was filmed. There's a lot of new development going on there and we have seen a lot of changes in the last 6 years. My son is living in a village called Walkley which is on the outskirts of Sheffield and must be one of the highest points in the vicinity. You certainly need a good handbrake on your car to park in the side streets! The area couldn't be more different than where we live, some 150 miles south, so I thought I would take a picture of the views from the back garden of the house where he is living this year. He, of course, was mortified that not only was I in his back garden, (and I use that term very loosely, there is not a blade of grass to be seen!) but taking a photo as well? Mothers! How embarrassing can they be?!

7 comments:

humel said...

Being embarrassing is our job ;-) My poor kids have *really* got it coming lol - I learnt from an expert! (The Mother still does it even now...)

scrappyjacky said...

Yep...it's definately our job.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

You took a picture from his "garden"? Mother! How could you!?!?! ;o)

Maria Ontiveros said...

I think the internet ate my comment the other day, but I think it's so wonderful to have raised a fine young man to where your son is now!
Rinda

Rachel Brett said...

Yes I think being an embarrassing mother is something that snaps into place the day we give birth!

Sian said...

Interesting! I have a friend who left NI for Art College in Sheffield and has lived there ever since, but I've never been.

You've got to embarrass them sometimes..otherwise whats the point in having them?

Amy said...

Thanks Deb, I love to learn about parts of the country my internet friends are from (or their son's uni digs) and of course it is your perogative to be utterly and thoroughly embarrassing!