Sunday 31 July 2011

Staycation Day 1

Thank you so much for your kinds thoughts and comments yesterday - I am really touched by everyone's good wishes.  We are going to try to make sure that we don't just fall into old routines this week, try to follow a holiday routine to some extent, outside of hospital visits of course.  As proof of that I have done nothing much more than sit in the garden in the sunshine reading one of the holiday books I had downloaded onto my Kindle.  With the sun shining, and a comfy chair it's almost as if I am on a terrace somewhere abroad.  I have even sunburnt my 'cleavage' which is par for the course for me on the first day of my holidays.  One of the hazards of being a voluptuous lady ;-)
Our son and his girlfriend very kindly cooked us dinner last night which was so kind as neither of us felt like eating much or indeed cooking.  So to come into the dining room and find a nice bottle of wine waiting and a home cooked thai curry on the table was just what we needed. 
Whilst my plan is to not get into the daily drudge of meals, I'm intending to cook the kind of food we would be enjoying overseas - lots of light meals, fish, salad etc.  However, my son made serious hints about how much he enjoys a nice slice of homemade cake to dip into.  Well not so much a hint, more of a 'can you cook one of your banana and walnut loaves Mum?' So that is my one concession to 'housework' today and whilst it is cooling from the oven I will share the recipe on that page of my blog which I started and then forgot to add to!  It's an old recipe from my husband's side of the family so bearing in mind the circumstances which find us in the UK and not Ibiza, kind of appropriate to share.  Be warned though, it's so old it is in pounds and ounces not grams!

8 comments:

Sandra said...

Good for you, glad to hear you're making the best of a very difficult situation.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Deb,
The cakes sounds like a great way to channel good thoughts for your whole family. Glad you are able to take care of yourself a bit in this difficult time.
Hugs,
Rinda

Anonymous said...

It's so you to be making the best of the situation. Have a very happy Staycation Deb xxx

Ginger said...

I like your thoughts on a staycation and what a nice thing for your son and his girlfriend to do for you and hubby. Take care.

Beverly said...

Lovely son and girlfriend to know just waht you would need last night. I do hope amidst the concern and visiting the two of you will be able to have rest and relaxation...be careful about that cleavage ;)

scrappyjacky said...

You sound as if you're making the best of it,Deb....hope the sun stays all week...it'll feel much more like a holiday then.

Sian said...

Bon Courage, my friend. Karen is right. It is so you to be making the best of things. Not easy, but it sounds to me like you are doing a wonderful job x

Cheri said...

I hope you truly enjoy your staycation and stick to your plans to not to stuff you wouldn't be doing if you were on vacation! I know it will be tough given the circumstances, but I also know that cancelling was the right choice for you.

Since we don't have a "vacation" this year, I'm seriously thinking I need to take a week off work and be able to read without guilt and spend some time creating... with no other obligations!