Thursday 15 November 2012

Simply a moment in November

It's 8pm.  We are all feeling full after a dinner of roast chicken, chipolata sausages, mashed potatoes, carrots, baby broad beans and gravy.  For some unknown, but universally agreed reason, a bottle of white wine which was laying chilled on its side in the bottle holder section of the fridge, waiting to be drunk, was opened.  I think we had all had 'one of those days'.  It is now empty and ready to be put into the recycling box outside the front door.
I am browsing through blogs on the laptop in the dining room and through the double doors leading to the lounge, I can hear a recorded Jules Holland TV programme being played.  My husband is sitting in the brown leather armchair watching it, although I suspect that if I got up and went into the room, I would find him 'listening with his eyes closed' (asleep!) 
The dog has obviously been up to no good in amongst the curtains at the patio doors that lead to the conservatory.  I just looked across the room to see what she was doing and she is fast asleep with the voile fabric draped around her.  All that is visible is her shaggy haired face.  From time to time I can see a slight move of the curtain as she twitches her paw - obviously dreaming.  She, too, enjoyed an extra supper of mashed potato and chicken, despite having already tucked into her own food at 6pm.
My daughter is upstairs, removing and replacing nail varnish and washing her hair as she is meeting up with friends after work tomorrow.  I can hear the swishing noise of the shower as the water hits the tiled walls of the bathroom.
It is pitch black outside.  The fog that we woke to this morning never really cleared and it has been a miserable, damp day.  The street lights are casting an eery yellow glow in the misty cold night air. Winter is really upon us. This is my moment in November.


12 comments:

humel said...

lol at the becurtained dog!! And 'listening with eyes closed' is something The Doctor does on occasion, and I suspect he'll be doing that this evening, poor chap is shattered....

Ruth said...

And very nicely drawn your moment is, too.
The listening with eyes closed thing is prevalent with husbands, I am sure!

Cheri said...

sounds like a belly full sleepy evening! My DH has also been known to listen with his eyes closed. Then come to and want an interpretation of what is happening in the show.

alexa said...

Such an atmospheric post - all that warm cosiness inside and the cold dark outside! I loved reading your detailed description and the picture of your little dog is wonderful! Thank-you so much for letting me know you'd posted and I've added it to the linky. It must be A Man Thing, that listening - I've just seen mine doing the same!

Susanne said...

Thanks for sharing, that was very effectively described - I am not sure if I am more hungry or perhaps thirsty as a result.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Beautiful. I especially love the feeling evoked talking about your daughter . . .
Rinda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful moment Debs. I cannot believe that little CoCo is ever anything but good!

Amy said...

Ha! TE 'accidentally' watched TV with his eyes closed last night and ended up with a very sore neck. Your moment sounds quite lovely Deb.

Elizabeth said...

I like the tone in this descriptive moment in November. It reminds me of the rhythm in a poem, I believe, is called Dover Cliffs or the Cliffs of Dover--not really sure.

Irene said...

Love the description of your dog - sounds absolutely sated! You conjure up such a cosy evening, closing out that dark night outside.

Missus Wookie said...

I like the 'universally agreed reason' Wookie has that discussion although here it is usually beer not wine. :) Lovely moment.

Linda said...

A great moment! Your dinner sounded yummy, and even more inviting with a bottle of wine!