Wednesday 22 January 2014

January Meh

I did smile when I read Deb's post about possibly choosing 'meh' as her One Little Word for the year.  And although I really hoped her year wouldn't be full of 'meh', I could really see where she was coming from!  Quite apart from a 'Can't be bothered' definition, it could also mean 'it's not perfect, but it will do'. I have to say that January is feeling a bit 'meh' over here in Deb's World too.  I keep finding all manner of good reasons excuses for not doing things or going places.  It's very easy to curl up in the winter sunshine in the conservatory with a good book and forget how excited you were to start that quilt at the beginning of the month.   The sewing machine giving you 'come hither' glances every time you walk past it and you totally ignoring it.  The pile of finished quilt blocks not growing with each passing day.   Very, very easy to sit and read a new cookery book rather than getting into the kitchen and actually cooking some new recipe you like the look of.  Anybody else out there feeling where I'm coming from?
I had to go on a training course on Monday.  I wasn't looking forward to it.  As I walked over to the room where it was being held, I had already decided it was not going to be worthwhile or interesting.  I had a pile of work on my desk that needed doing and 3 hours of learning the finer points of something I already knew how to do was quite frankly - annoying.  To rub salt into the wound, the heating in the room was not working properly and anyone that knows me, will know that I do not 'do' cold well!  First off, the whiteboard won't work - and then we had problems linking the laptops to the network.  I think a few of my internal sighs may actually become audible!  'So we'll start with the basics' the trainer said 'NO' my brain screamed 'Don't do that, we've already done that before, we're here for advanced report training, we don't need basic, we know basic, I'm cold, I'm bored, I don't want to be here.' And so passed the longest 180 minutes that a Monday morning ever held.  180 long, cold, boring minutes. I finish at 12.30 on a Monday and I practically ran out that door, jumped in my car and rushed home.  'How did it go?'  asked my husband. 'Well, that's 3 hours of my life I'm never going to get back.' I replied.  And then I thought.  How true that statement is.  My 'meh' feelings are wasting precious days.  We're 3/4 through January and what do I have to show for it?  So my dear 'meh', that's it.  I'm breaking up with you.  It's not you, it's me.  I've got things to do, places to go and people to see.  You're holding me back and I think it's best for both of us if we go our separate ways.  You'll find someone else.  
So, dear blog, you and I are going to be seeing more of each other.  Quality time spent in each other's company.  Hey look, I've even done another zoom in, zoom out picture combination to join in with Helena:

I do love orchids, they're my type of a house plant.  They flower even when you neglect them, rumour has it that they thrive the more you neglect them.  They don't ask for lots of water, just some good light and moisture in the air and they are happy.  This is a new one that I was given for Christmas.  I love the waxy feel of the petals and the elegance of their shape and form.  This one is happy brightening up the windowsill in my shower room. I mean, come on, how can I look at that and still feel 'meh'?

10 comments:

Cheri said...

I love this post because I know exactly how you feel. It is so easy to just literally do nothing when it is zero degrees (farenheit) outside with a windchill in the negative numbers and you know you need to get to the grocery store but really, who wants to go out in this weather? I've been ignoring a whole lot lately. Guess maybe it is time to get off the sofa and do something productive!

Sian said...

Well good for you, giving that meh feeling the boot! I think it's the weather..those heavy, dark skies just make me want to hibernate. Here's to February, eh?

scrappyjacky said...

I know how you feel too....something to do with the cold weather I think....though boring, useless courses definately don't help!!!

alexa said...

No wonder you were fed up - argh! Cold and boring is just the end ... That would fuel my 'meh!'. Like your kicking it into touch and you are encouraging me to do the same ... Or I could just sit by the fire blog reading and drinking tea? Now, where are those nibbles ...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh you KNEW I would love this post, didn't you Deb? I was starting to feel a little guilty, like maybe I had rubbed off on you, but I'm glad to see that you turned it around. Your orchid photos are so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Well Deb you have done me good - I feel that way about January too but you have made me realise that if I want it to be different it's up to me to change it!

helena said...

beautiful orchids, they always make me smile. I do find that the short hours of daylight bring on hibernation tendencies

Jimjams said...

LOL - my thoughts to a "T" - January is almost always "meh" here - wouldn't it be nice to start the New Year in a get-up-an-go month like May!
I love orchids but sadly my neglect is generally a little too much for them :-(

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love your break up story . . . it's not you, it's me made me laugh out loud!
Rinda

Susanne said...

If any month were made for meh, it is January. Good to see you are moving on. And the orchid is just lovely.