Friday 17 January 2014

Simply a Moment - January

I have been sitting in one position for too long.  As I go to stand up, my knee complains and makes me wonder if it is going to give way beneath me.  It's been hurting for a while now, on and off.  I'm hoping it's not 'old age' showing its first signs and more likely an injury that's been aggravated by over enthusiastic dancing at my 'Fitsteps' class last night.  My posture is bad, I know that for a fact. Sitting at work I perch on the end of my chair rather than sitting back properly with my spine supported.

I'm 'in charge' of Awards evening this year. 130 students being presented with a book or trophies in acknowledgement of achievement.  400 guests. 1 person collecting nominations, printing congratulations letters, invitations to parents and VIPs, ensuring that 70 books have the right names printed on their book plates and ready to be presented in the right order.  Sixty silver trophies shining and glass awards polished.  One person to organise it (along with all their normal work) - me.  It's normally a job I share but this year I'm on my own and the enormity of the task feels overwhelming.  I've spent a lot of time in denial that it can be done by one person, but I need to change my mind set from an 'it can't be done' to 'let's see if it can be done'.

So today I have broken the job down and made a timescale of what needs to be done and when to do it.  Rather than one huge undertaking, it feels a bit more manageable. I feel as though I have clawed back a little bit of control.  I know when my busiest times will be and having it written down chronologically makes me feel more confident that this just might be do-able. But I have been sitting down, tense and in a bad position for far too long and whilst I now have a beautifully organised spreadsheet, and a slightly happier frame of mind, my knee is regretting that final cha-cha-cha last night.

Simply a moment of my working life - recorded in conjunction with Alexa's blog.

16 comments:

alexa said...

That sounds as if it has been very stressful, Debs - I have lost count of the number of people I've met who seem to be having to do the work of at least two. And such a huge amount to be responsible for - you have my admiration, and I hope it all goes well ... I hope the Powers That Be realise the treasure you are! Thank-you so much for sharing your moment with us today, in the midst of all the busyness, and I am always delighted to see your name in the Linky :).

Susanne said...

Wow, that's quite an undertaking before you. But the fact that you're already planning so well, has to give you confidence. I'm already convinced you can do it!! And I hope your knee feels better soon - long before the next dancing.

scrappyjacky said...

I do hope it all comes together....I'm sure you'll be up to the task.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That is a lot of stuff for one person but it sounds like you have a handle on it. Good luck!

Sian said...

Quite an undertaking, indeed. This chimed with me today - I'm feeling creaky! But I have plans to go to Pilates on Monday night with a friend, so I'm hopeful that will help..

Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I am shocked - making spreadsheets at work - does your boss know ;0)

Amy said...

I was wanting to echo a lot of Alexa's sentiment - you are not alone in taking on the work of more than one person! Good luck ... you will do a fine job!

Missus Wookie said...

I always find that a proper plan a comforting thing - hope yours works well and everything goes well.

Becky said...

Good luck - hope it all goes to plan :-)

Anonymous said...

Making a to-do list and most of all changing your perspective will make a world of difference, and I bet you'll surprise yourself. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and several other comments--having a plan for tackling a complex job makes it that much easier. Good luck with it.

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Breaking it down is definitely the way to go. makes it all seem a little overwhelming. I am confident that you are equal to the task :o)

Cheri said...

It seems to be the way of the world. Workers leave and aren't replaced and everyone left behind is just expected to pick up the slack. I'm glad you got a plan in place to tackle such a daunting undertaking... hope it all goes well!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I feel your pain, Deb. Not your knee pain, but the lack of co-workers and taking on more duties yourself. We have more in common that just our cool name! ;o)

Might I suggest a nice yoga class? Not only would it improve your posture, but it would be a great way to relieve some stress.

Ruth said...

Goodness, that's a huge amount of work for one person! I had to smile at Deb's comment about yoga, because I sit on my computer chair just like you do ~ right on the edge. Not good.

Maria Ontiveros said...

My left knee is definitely a little puffy and cranky these days. The awards seems like a really happy time.
Rinda