Monday 8 October 2018

Me on Monday

You'll find me this Monday morning doing what I did 45 years ago, desperately trying to do my homework before a lesson the next day.




For all the world's a stage and the men and women merely players. 


Or so William Shakespeare tells us.  And this week the stage in question is the one at the school where I used to work.  The Head of Drama also runs a performance company called The Pantaloons that is putting on a comedy Shakespearean production of 'As You Like It' to raise funds for new equipment in the drama studio so I thought I would channel my inner A Level English Literature student and get a ticket.  But although I read many a Shakespearean play in my school years, this is one I never had to study so I'm having to do a bit of background reading/homework.  (We once had a wonderful teacher in about the second year who told us that if we ever found William Shakespeare a bit intimidating, to just think of him as Billy Waggledagger.  A silly anecdote but one which sticks in my mind!) 

After a bit of culture I did some more painting on our upstairs landing.  Only one door frame and a few bits of skirting board left and then we can actually do the fun bit - painting the walls a different colour!

Last week involved a lot of babysitting for Leo while his mum went to the hospital for monitoring - every time he's here I'm reminded that I'm not as young as I used to be!

I started this blog post with memories of my school days and that's how it will end too.  One of the highlights of last week was a meal out with a couple of old school friends.  We've known each other since we were 11 - which is very scarily almost 50 years ago 😱 It was so good to meet up with them, we try and get together about 4 times a year and as soon as we get chatting the years fade away and it's as if we were back in our old needlework classroom gossiping away.  It is good to make new friends throughout your life, but just as good to keep those lifelong friends close too.


7 comments:

Jodie's Touch of Style said...

Aren't you smart to do that?? We've gone to a couple of Shakespeare plays, and i never thought to read it before we went. I still enjoyed the plays, but I bet I would love it more if I had read it before!!
XOXO
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com

alexa said...

Your zest for life and learning and doing is very invigorating - good for you! Have you decided on a paint colour yet? Do kepe us posted ...

Patio Postcards said...

I applaud you tackling the written word of Willy Waggledagger ... I'm not sure renaming him will help me but I did get a good chuckle out of his aka.

Old friends are certainly a benefit to our lives but making new friends are good stir of the pot - there's a quote; old friends gold, new friends silver.

Looking forward to seeing the final of the upstairs landing.

Ruth said...

Willy Waggledagger - that just made me spit out my mouthful of tea!!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Great idea to read the play first!! I like reading the book before I see the movie. Makes sense to do that with plays!

Not familiar with Willy Waggledagger but sure like his name!

Will be seeing Lucia this weekend. She reminds me of my age and lack of stamina, too. These toddlers are just so quick!

Glad you enjoyed lunch with dear 'old' friends. Old as in long-term, not age, of course!

Barbara Eads said...

It's not that I find Shakespeare intimidating, but, rather, I have a hard time understanding him! Glad to hear the painting is coming along. Can't wait to see what it looks like when you finish.

Maggie said...

I tend to read a synopsis of any Shakespeare play before hand so that I can follow what is going on. I forgot before I went to see The Tempest in the summer and checked out how well I had managed when I got home! Luckily I had managed quite well!