Tuesday 23 October 2018

Tasty Tuesday - A souper blog hop

No doubt about it, there is something very comforting about a steaming hot bowl of homemade soup, especially if you're feeling under the weather or if the weather has taken a turn for the worse.  Leslie has organised a blog hop for people (Did you arrive here from Lysha's blog?  If so - hello and welcome to my blog!) to share super soup recipes now that Autumn is here - so this is my contribution.

I have a few favourite recipes but thought I would choose something that people may not have tried before.  I must admit that this recipe comes from my friend Julia; she invited me for lunch one day and when she told me what we were having I was a bit dubious but pleasantly surprised!  This recipe is for 


Courgette Soup 
aka Zucchini Soup 
(for those on the other side of the Atlantic!)

Now bear with me as I know it doesn't sound very exotic and maybe a bit underwhelming but please give me the benefit of the doubt - it's easy to make, doesn't cost much, cooks quickly and tastes delicious.  Are you ready?

What do you need?

2 medium sized courgettes
2 small onion or 1 large one
1 clove garlic 
1 small potato 
about 1/2 litre of either chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and black pepper
Cheese - grated 





How do you make it?


  • Chop onion and slice courgette, make stock with boiling water
  • Fry onion until soft and translucent 
  • Add courgette and crushed garlic 
  • Peel and chop potato into small cubes
  • Add to pan along with stock
  • Simmer for about 20 mins.  Have a coffee, read a chapter of a book, browse the internet while you are waiting.
  • Blitz the mixture until it is smooth, if you think it needs a bit more liquid add some boiling water until it is the consistency you like.
  • Season generously with salt and black pepper.
  • Pour into bowl, with a large handful of grated cheese on top (I use Cheddar or Gruyere)

It is pure comfort food and while you'd think courgette soup would be a bit bland, the skins of the courgettes give it a lovely peppery taste.  And as the cheese melts into it - oh yum!  I like to eat mine with a hunk of sourdough bread or a crusty roll.



Please do follow the links to learn some new soups - rumour has it that the cold weather is returning this weekend so I think the timing of this blog hop has been perfect!




5 comments:

Penny @ Penny's Passion said...

I learned something new today -- I didn't know what a courgette was! This soup sounds great!

Amber said...

That sounds delicious! I made a zucchini soup once and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I think the addition of cheese would make it even better!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Love reading/hearing the different words you use for things. Like courgette, and blitz. Your language, your words are so colorful and make reading your posts even more delightful.

This looks delicious. I love squash, zucchini, pumpkin...all of them. Enjoyed pumpkin and squash soup last fall in Germany. My PC would be stirring around to find a morsel or two of meat, though. What would you suggest? Sausage? Ground beef? Chicken? Which would work best with this recipe to pacify my carnivore?

Love that you mentioned reading a chapter of a book while the soup simmers. Atta girl!

Thank you for the mention and for joining me on this adventure. And look at you adding the InLinkZ code! A+! You did great.

Patio Postcards said...

Book recommendations & recipes exchanges, two of my favourite kinds of posts. We also called zucchini courgettes - rather interchangeable in these parts (col).

Ruth said...

That sounds so yummy, I'm bookmarking this post ...