Tuesday 26 November 2019

Last Christmas ...

... I gave you my heart ...  

Oh how sad I was when I heard that George Michael had died - I absolutely loved his music.  So when I heard that there was a film that had all his music for the soundtrack I was definitely going to watch it.  Even though it got terrible reviews in the press!


Yesterday I went with a friend to see it and even though I have to admit it wasn't the best film I had ever seen, we both really enjoyed it.  Naturally the soundtrack is fantastic and at times brought a tear to my eye.  I did actually get to see George in concert once and it was absolutely the best concert I have ever been to - what a voice and what a performer.

It's been a busy few days over here in Deb's World.  On Friday I went to a wedding as baby Max's 'plus one'.  Our daughter in law, Sophie, was bridesmaid at her sister's wedding so I went along to look after the littlest best man so Jon and Sophie could relax and enjoy the festivities.  It all went remarkably well!

To say I was apprehensive is the understatement of the year.  Not about looking after Mr Adorable, but the actually getting to the venue and then getting home again in the dark.  You see the venue was quite literally in the middle of nowhere.  Here's a google map as proof

See that little dot in the middle of all the farm land?  That's it.  It was in a village called Shingay Cum Wendy.  There must be some history behind such an unusual place name.  I say it's a village, but I'm not sure if a few farm houses and a wedding venue equal a village!  I freely admit that I have no sense of direction and a deep distrust of sat navs so we had to do a couple of trial runs beforehand so I knew where I was going.  Trial one was a disaster.  The sat nav took us deep into farm land along single track 'roads' with railway crossings in the middle of nowhere.  When we finally got to the venue, we sat in the car park and Paul looked at a map to see how he would have gone without technology getting involved.  The return journey was better.  So a week later we did the trial run again, ignoring sat nav, with me driving and him just being there for moral support.  It was much better and I felt reasonably confident that I could get there and back in one piece.  So imagine how I felt a few days later when I saw a road work message on a Facebook page that said that a road which formed part of my journey would be closing at 10pm Friday evening and the detour would add another half hour onto my journey!  Fortunately, on the night the roadworks were rescheduled so the road was open - phew!

Then Sunday I had my pre-Christmas Zumba party lunch at a local golf club.  It was really good and naturally with 52 'midlife' ladies who enjoy a bit of Zumba, there was no room on the dance floor once we had eaten our meal.  I think the singer performing the after lunch show could hardly believe his luck getting such an enthusiastic audience!

From there I had to quickly get to Rosie's first birthday celebration.  Leo was naturally the most excited person there and monopolising all of Rosie's new toys.  Rachel had spent so much time on the birthday cake


So that was why things have been a bit quiet on the blog front - I've either been out celebrating, or recovering from it all!  This weekend looks like being a bit quieter.  Watch this space ...



3 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Beautiful cake. Very glad you have been enjoying life & not ill.

Ruth said...

That cake is amazing! (but how can she be one already?)

alexa said...

Rachel made that lovely cake? My, there's a talent! Not envying you all those tricky journeys, but I am sure your presence and looking-after-the-little-one duties were much appreciated. (I shall be doing something similar next week.) Your Zumba party sounds like lots of fun - hoping your week is full of similarly happy things!