Tuesday 18 February 2020

Labour of Love recipe swap and blog hop

It is a well documented fact that I have a sweet tooth, so it felt like fate when Leslie invited me to join her for Tasty Tuesday and share a favourite sweet treat in her Labour of Love recipe swap and blog hop.  Whether you have arrived here from Leslie's blog or if you are a regular reader - welcome!  I hope you like the sound of what I'm sharing and please do let me know if you decide to give it a try yourself ...

I would like to share with you probably the easiest and tastiest lemon meringue pie you will ever try.  You don't have to take my word for it, I found it in Mary Berry's 'Absolute Favourites' cookery book so if it's alright with the UK's queen of baking, it's alright for me!  It doesn't even need many ingredients



It wasn't until after I'd started making it that I realised that I had missed one vital ingredient out of the photo shoot so let's not forget what makes the meringue super tasty 



Ready to get cooking?

You need a round ceramic tart dish about 9" wide and about 1½" deep.  Pre heat your oven to 190 degrees celcius or 170 degrees Celsius Fan  (374 F or 338 F Fan) or Gas 5.


  • Melt 75g (3oz) butter, then crush 175g (6oz) digestive biscuits and mix the two together
  • Press the mixture into the flan dish, bringing the crumbs up around the sides of the dish and flat in the middle - what could be easier?
  • Pour a tin of condensed milk into a bowl, then add 3 egg yolks.  Put the egg whites in a separate  mixing bowl ready to make the meringue. 
  • Add the rind of 2 lemons, then the juice.  The mix will thicken slightly, then pour into the biscuit lined dish.
  • At this point I normally take the opportunity to scrape round the sides of the bowl to sample the lemon filling 😉 (It's a tough job but someone has to do it)
  • Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then add 175g (6oz) caster sugar, a teaspoon at a time (don't be impatient at this stage and bung it all in, the gradual additions are important to the quality of the meringue at the end!)
  • Spoon the meringue over the surface of the filling, making small swirls. 
  • Put in oven for 15 - 20 mins until the meringue is pale golden, crispy on the outside and like a cloud inside.
  • Avoid any temptation to dive right in and eat the whole thing straight away (this is the hardest bit) leave for 30 mins to allow the filling to firm up as it cools.

That's it.  You can make it up to 6 hours before you need it (as if I can wait 6 hours after this has come out of the oven!)

Please do try this, it really is so simple and makes a great dessert if you have people over for dinner, I guarantee it will get a 'wow' reaction as you bring it to the table. 


Especially if I am one of your guests!

Are you ready for some more sweet treats?  Be sure to pop by all the bloggers taking part in this blog hop:  Next on the list is Juhli - I wonder what sweet treat she has in store for us?

Juhli Newkirk  https://boomergirlsguide.blogspot.com
Danielle Park  https://familyloveinspirationeducation.wordpress.com
Amy Johnson  http://www.amyscreativepursuits.com
Marilyn Lesniak  https://www.marilynstreats.com
Penny Struebig  http://pennyspassion.blogspot.com
Anne Green  https://www.thecajuncouple.com
Laura Bambrick  http://www.idodeclaire.com

And last but not least, the lady who is hosting the blog hop - thanks Leslie!

Leslie Clingan  http://onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com



7 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Looks very yummy. I have not had lemon pie in years. I agree if Mary Berry shares a recipe, it's a good one.

Amy Johnson said...

What an impressive dessert! Looks delicious!

Ruth said...

That looks delicious - I may be tempted to try to it out!

The Cajun Couple said...

I love to watch Mary Berry bake. I think I need to give this recipe a try because it looks delicious.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Oh, my, this sounds doable!! And I thought meringue was very difficult to make. I bet it is the adding the sugar in slowly to the egg whites that makes it a little touchy. Your meringue is perfection! This looks so good and so pretty. And I am sure it tastes even better. You look adorable with your little ears. So did the kids on Instagram or Facebook.

Thanks so much for joining me for this recipe swap and blog hop. I am pinning your post and will be trying my very first meringue soon.

Deb's World said...

I love lemon meringue pie, and this looks great Deb x

alexa said...

Love the idea of that easy base - and as it's now possible to buy gluten-free digestive biscuits, it would fit in nicely here. That's a very sweet photo of you too!