Monday 30 January 2023

What I’ve been reading in January

The last Monday in January. Sun is rising at 7.44am and setting at 4.44pm - I am more than ready to come out of hibernation! Look how pretty sunset was last night.


Some days it’s harder than others to feel motivated, but the time has been right this month to hunker down with a cup of tea in the afternoon and enjoy some reading time.

The book club choice for January was this

Now, it isn't the book I voted for and I don't think it's one that I would have chosen for myself if I saw it in a book store.  But as soon as I started reading it I was hooked.  I mean, Chester Wheeler is a cantankerous, rude man so it's not as if the main character is appealing.  In fact, he's such a nasty old man that his daughter is finding it impossible to find someone to come and care for him.  The agency staff cannot find anyone who will stay after a few days and in desperation she asks his neighbour, Lewis, if he will keep an eye on him.  Chester has terminal cancer and so it is obvious that this is not a long term arrangement.  Finding himself unemployed and unexpectedly single, Lewis reluctantly accepts the job.  There is a great vulnerability to Chester and as the story unfolds you can understand a little about what has made him so bitter and beneath his bitter exterior is a lonely, scared, confused elderly man.  Once they have got to know one another, Chester reveals that he has one wish.  To go on a road trip to see his ex-wife who he hasn't seen for over thirty years.  Lewis feels he cannot deny a dying man one request so they head off across America to make a last journey.  

I won't say any more as I don't want to put out any spoilers in case you choose to read this too but suffice it to say, Lewis returns from the trip with a new found understanding and attitude to which direction his future may go.

The second book I read was A Wedding in Provence by Katie Fforde


 I nearly didn't download this, as I associate the author with 'chick lit' which isn't my favourite genre of literature.  But I fancied something light to read and this definitely ticked that box.  

Alexandra has recently completed a cooking course and has returned home to fill in some time before heading off to a finishing school where her relatives believe she will learn all the skills she needs for the future.  Alexandra has other ideas though and finds herself applying for the job of nanny to three children in Provence.  This is no ordinary nanny job though, her employer is a French Count, and the children live in his chateau in Provence.

This was a nice, light, 'happy ever after' read and although a little predictable, I enjoyed the story.

The other book that I have read is one which hasn't been published yet so I can't really say much about it I'm afraid.  My friend Dani is an author and always sends me her latest book before it goes for its final edit at the publishers. So my lips have to be sealed but all I will say is that I think this is going be be a popular book once it is released! I will tell you more when I can!

I have my fingers crossed that this week will see us with fine weather so we can really tidy up the garden. I can’t wait to see a bit of colour out there. I am definitely impatient for spring to arrive!



5 comments:

Ruth said...

I am adding Chester to my TBR list, which just keeps on getting longer and longer!

Patio Postcards said...

Always appreciate book recommendations. I'll see if my library has So Long Chester Wheeler.

alexa said...

How exciting about your author friend! Thank-you for the recommendations, and will keep my eyes peeled for them ... Yes, I'm longing for a bit of warmth and colour too. It's been a very grey January, but I always feel cheered up when I catch up with your posts :).

Gail Is This Mutton? said...

Chester sounds interesting. I'm always looking for storyline about older people.

Susanne said...

I am so far behind on the book club list, and I think the lit chit Wedding In Provence would be more up my alley, at present.