Monday 16 January 2023

A week of frittering

 It feels like I frittered away most of last week.

Fritter away: to waste time or money on unimportant or unnecessary things

If I look back on the photos I took for my 1 Second Everyday last week nothing momentous springs out at me.

It feels like my time was spent doing 'not very much'.  But maybe that's what I needed.  It had been very busy over the Christmas/New Year period; I managed to catch the dreadful 'cold that wasn't covid' and that seems to have outstayed its welcome and hung on for far too long.  So maybe what I needed was to fritter away a few days.

I popped over to the churchyard where my parents' grave is to remove the wreaths we had laid over Christmas and to generally tidy up.  On my way back to the car I noticed the first daffodils in flower which definitely lifted my spirits. I then frittered away the afternoon doing some crochet while relaxing on the sofa.



The following day I had a hairdressers appointment which gave me 45 mins to fritter way reading while waiting for my highlights to develop.  The best part of any hair appointment is that gentle head massage that you get at the end of the hair wash - so relaxing.

I spent a fair part of Wednesday playing with Olive, now that was a good way to fritter away a few hours!

There was definitely no frittering going on while I was at Zumba on Thursday - exercise is neither unimportant nor unnecessary.  Goodness, the instructor put us through our paces.  I compensated for all the energy I had used up in the morning by doing some more crochet in the afternoon and watching an episode of a new-to-me series called Firefly Lane.  I frittered away a fair amount of time wondering where I had seen the person who plays Tully before I realised she had been Izzie in Greys Anatomy.  Isn't it annoying when you can't place a face?  But how satisfying when the penny drops and you remember where you know them from.

I had hoped that we may be able to go out somewhere on Friday but the weather was miserable and the inclination to leave the house diminished by the minute.  So the day was mainly spent continuing with the alteration of a dress that I have been putting off for ages.  When I bought this dress a few years ago, handkerchief hems were in fashion and I loved the way it draped and swirled around my legs as I walked.  But I had fallen out of love with it and on a whim, decided to cut off the handkerchief  parts of the hem and make it the same length all the way round.  Easier said than done when so much material is involved, but I just need to do a couple of tweaks to it now and then it will be finished and I feel like I have a new dress!  I know I'm going to wear it more this way.

This week will hopefully be more productive, we have a couple of social get togethers planned so fingers crossed!  It's Chinese New Year next weekend so I have invited friends round for dinner with a Chinese theme.  I'll be cheating with the food and getting it from a local take-away but I've bought new chopsticks for the occasion so there'll be no cheating with knives and forks!  Maybe this will be the first outing for my 'new' dress ...





6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Very glad to read that your cold not Covid has been sent packing, but yes colds do take a lot out of you, so crocheting, I've heard, is a good recovery plan. I like your redesign of a favourite dress to make it wearable again. I think we should all do more of that to our wardrobes. Playdates & bonding time with your Grandkids will pay off in big ways :)

Ruth said...

I don't think much frittering went on at all last week! I am envious of your talent to alter clothing!

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Frittering is a word my mama used. I like it. Hadn't heard it in a while. Sounds much nicer than saying 'wasted time' or 'goofed off' or 'took it easy.' Your Chinese New Year gathering sounds like great fun. Maybe we will order some Chinese and eat with our chopsticks. I would certainly be a much thinner person if I ate with chopsticks regularly.

Cannot imagine trying to hem that dress. You are a better woman than I. I am sure the handkerchief was lovely, and if you waited long enough, I bet it would have been back in fashion and you could have saved yourself that work. But now with your tweaking you will have a brand-new dress. Good job.

Hope you are feeling back to 100%. We are still not quite right but much better and have stopped coughing. I think I was expending so much energy coughing and burning so many calories doing so, it helped me keep from gaining weight over the holidays.

Jennifer said...

Deb - I must admit that I learn so much when I stop by your blog!:) I love it. Frittering is a word that I think (maybe) I have heard but not that often. But you did an excellent job of describing that word as you walked through your week. LOL...a little bit of frittering never hurt a soul. No doubt, a week of (too) much frittering here and there can be a very nice thing, indeed. I must admit, I was completely unaware of Twelfth Night until you mentioned in my comments. Imagine my surprise when I looked it up and it is on the 5th or 6th of January - not the 12th. Maybe others, here in the states, are familiar with this but I do not know of any. Ah yes, and the phrase "put paid" - had never heard it before. Definitely a British one....but I like it:) Hope you had a good Wednesday and that "cold that is not covid" has completely left the building!!

Barbara Eads said...

Oh, I can "fritter" with the best of them! Sometimes, the day is gone and I wonder what I did with it! I'd say, frittering with a cold is completely justifiable!!

Susanne said...

Frittering is a skill I definitely possess, but so far in 2023 I haven't had that luxury. I am impressed that your sewing skills are up to the task of banishing a handkerchief hem. My latest sewing adventure was undoing ties on a table runner that I had been used to hold a table runner in place so it could act as a basket liner. I don't even remember where I got the matching ties, but it turns out the table runner was originally also a window valance. Now it has been returned to its original purpose. So I guess I didn't really sew, I just snipped. Being a scrapbooker, snipping is my jam. Maybe in February I can get back to frittering.