Monday 10 August 2009

lacemaking

Friday's prompt was about crafts and what we enjoy doing and why. In amongst the darker recesses of my needlework box I came across this lace edged mat that I had made back in the early 80s. My friend Linda and I used to go to lacemaking classes and we were by far the youngest in the class - by about 40 years! I really enjoyed learning, it was so difficult and yet so rewarding. I enjoyed buying the carved bobbins and then finding pretty beads to weight them down and just loved doing something so totally different.
The lacemaking pillow and bobbins were consigned to the loft when our daughter was born - I didn't have the time to do it and then once she was mobile, those pretty beads were too tempting to keep away from. So up in the loft it went and up in the loft it has stayed. I'll get it down again one day ..... probably ....
I've always enjoyed making things, even got an A level in needlework and used to make most of my own clothes. I've learnt crochet, macrame, knitting, patchwork, smocking but one of the most satisfying of all crafts has to be lacemaking. I wonder if I could remember how to do it?!

No comments: