Wednesday 28 October 2009

A change is as good as a rest

My daughter has recently had a major career change. Having obtained at 2:1 degree in Business and Marketing and finding a job at one of the major advertising/media companies in London, she has now changed direction completely. She had worked a year doing what should have been her ideal job, using her degree and working in the busy environment of advertising, in the heart of Covent Garden. However, the commuting was wearing her down, the job was not all it had seemed to be at first, rumours of redundancy kept grumbling away and she was one very unhappy bunny.
A chance comment whilst having her hair done in a local salon resulted in a job offer and retraining at college and she is now starting a new career in ... hairdressing! It was a huge decision to make, obviously a very big cut in salary and the initial feeling of "4 years at Uni ...and now I'm a hairdresser?" but you know what - she is a changed person. She is back to being happy and actually looks forward to going to work. She's enjoying learning new things and being creative and I think that it was the best thing she could have done.
So yesterday I was her 'model' for a lesson in colouring - picture above - I'm really pleased with it and I think this is a huge lesson. Money is not the be all and end all. Health and Happiness are what matters in this life.

4 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Nice blog - I really like your color scheme and your picture in the header.
Rinda (from Shimelle's class)

Denise said...

Well said that girl - she has made a really lovely jobof it - really like it xx

Amy said...

I always say you can learn some of life's greatest lessons in the hair dressers! The 'do' looks great and I think your daughter has made a great decision - even though I'm sure it was difficult at the time.

Lynda said...

Great blog entry. It's so true that money doesn't buy happiness, and it's wonderful that she learned that lesson early on.