Saturday 3 July 2010

Ladies who lunch

Having been up since 4.30am yesterday due to taxiing husband and friend to the airport, it was good to not only have the whole double bed to myself last night, but also not to have been woken during the night with snoring ;-) So having dropped my daughter at work this morning, I found myself with not much to do and the whole day to myself.
With Shimelle's new class starting on Monday, I have cleared the decks/desk ready for some serious scrapping and charged up the battery on my camera - blinkie on the blog and I'm ready to go!
So at lunchtime my friend (whose husband is in Italy with mine) and I drove into the countryside to a place called Matching Green for a rather lovely pub lunch. It was so typically 'British' a nice thatched pub, and we sat outside at a picnic table and ate our meal with the sound of the cricketers playing on the green. Is the expression 'leather on willow' or something like that? The sun was shining, kids were playing happily on the green and all was well in the world. A chilled glass of Pinot Grigio, and a shared platter of oriental spring rolls, chargrilled chicken and king prawns in a tempura batter, with sweet chilli or hoi sin sauce to dip them into. Plus a shared white crab meat and brown crab mayonnaise on walnut bread toast as well. Mel will be horrified to hear I didn't have my camera with me to document it but I am afraid you will just have to imagine! Or I could go back next week and have it all again ;-) Oh, all right, if I HAVE to!

10 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Sounds truly idyllic, nice that you took time for yourself.
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

Sounds lovely...you'll definately have to go back to take photos!

Rachel Brett said...

Sounds lovely Deb, See you in class on Monday : )

Denise said...

Sounds perfect,glad you found something to do ! xx

Scrappi Sandi said...

Sounds like the perfect setting...& although I will try very hard to imagine all that food being gorgeous, I don't like fish, so is it OK with you if I leave out the prawns & crab?!!...everything else sounds scrummy...such a hardship to think you might have to do it all agin next weekend!!! See you in the forum on Monday!!

Amy said...

I can just imagine it Deb!
Thanks for the ice tip - we had it ready for last night but didn't need it fortunately! We'll see though ... I'm not one to brag - we are not out of the woods yet! See you in class :-)

Sian said...

It sounds pretty much perfect :) See you in class on Monday

Jennifer Grace said...

What a delicately English afternoon! Sounds great!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

What a lovely way to spend an afternoon! Glad you had this lunchtime with your friend. :o)

Enjoy your alone-time!

humel said...

Yes, you have to go back. You tell us about the lovely food (and wine) but don't have photos to share with us??? Glad you had a good time though :-)